Quandary

I’m really happy with my system. However when a technician, who is also a salesman, came to my house for a stereo repair he complimented my set but said it would sound a lot better if I switched out my Benchmark AHB2 amp (which I think is great) for a Pass 30 wpc class AB amp. He offered to let me hear that amp in my system so that I could decide for myself (at a fee of $300.) The only problem is he doesn’t  have the 30 watt amp in stock but would have to demo the Pass sound with 60 watt monoblocks. He assured  me that with my very efficient GoldenEar Triton 1 speakers the 30 watt amp will almost have the the same quality.

Do you think I can honestly judge how the smaller amp will actually sound? Or should I cancel the demonstration (and save$300?)

128x128rvpiano

@ghdprentice

Sounds like you’ve a lot of time to guess with someone else’s hearing and money. “I think it would likely make a profound”… more guessing, and you suspect… Fortunately for him the majority think the salesman is just that plus a dose of pushy, and is going to move on.
Did the op or anyone request or need to know the tax details on your wires… A comical question do you know or are you related to the blowhard salesman ?

@rvpiano If I had the system you have now and the upgrade itch with 7 or 8 grand burning a hole in my pocket, I'd go out and spend some serious seat-time with a McIntosh MC152 or the MC312.  My guess is the MC152's 150 watts with its autoformer technology would be more than enough power for your Triton 1 and you'd save a couple grand in the process.  The MC312 would be a consideration if you ever planned on upgrading to speakers with less than an 8-ohm nominal load in the future.  One caveat, however.  Your Triton are designed with AMT tweeters.  In my experience, speakers like that sound best when there is a healthy amount of open or empty space behind the listening position or sweet spot, so to speak.  An audiophile friend and I have done serious seat-time with the Triton 2 and the Martin Logon Motion 60XTi and found that a listening position without a good amount of empty spade behind it (e.g.  6' or more - the more, the better - a couch or chair right up against a wall or bookcases or something like that would not be a good idea) leads to relatively intense listening fatigue and very quickly.  Professional reviewers have commented on this, as well.  The sound room or environment is often discounted or outright dismissed as one of, if not THE most, critical components of any sound system.

Good Luck!

What it sounds like is the dealer wants to sell you the more expensive mono blocks by "not having" the lesser amp on hand.