REL S510 or S812

Hello all

Im buying a new sub. Ive narrowed my search down to REL. My budget is enough for a new S510 or used S812. My system is dual purpose so Sub has to be good at HT and 2 channel. Thats why ive landed on REL. Im not a fan of buying used because of warranty consideration mainly, but if the 812 is  considerably better than the 510 I would consider.  Does anyone have first hand experience with these subs?  

sandrodg73

I just purchased a REL S/510.  It replaces a 20 year old Velodyne HT sub.  At first I was going to purchase the HT/1510.  My local audio guy convinced me to get the S/510 instead.  He knows my system inside/out and more importantly, the characteristics of my 14 x 12 listening room.

My listening experience is 80% music and 20% tv and movies.  My main speakers are B&W 804s.  The S/510 works seamlessly with all my source components: Denon DCD A110 SACD/CD player, innuos Zenith mk3 streamer + innuos Phoenix USB, and Bricasti M3 DAC, Modwright Oppo 105, and EAT C-Sharp turntable/Sutherland phono pre amp.  

Rock, jazz, classical, electronic, etc., all sound fantastic to my ears.  My audio guy is a graduate of the Berklee College of Music, and he knows how live music should sound.  I consider myself a lucky guy because he has my system tuned perfectly, IMO.

If you are more of a movie guy, you may be better served with the HT/1510.  The S/510 does not produce slamming bass that will make your teeth chatter.  It is smoothly integrated with my B&W 804s, and that combination brings tight/punchy/fast/full bass to the music I listen to.

Good luck!

Hi

I have 2 x S812s  complimenting my Kef Ref 5 speakers.  My room is 19 x 21 or 400 sqft. The Rels are brilliant choice for 2 channel which is what I use them for 90% of the time but they will do HT as well. As ssid the independent setting is really useful. What you get in 2 channel is really surprising. They add soundstage, presense and air to the  whole listening experience. But for me the addition of 'weight' added to the mid bass on vocals and acoustics is what I reslly liked.

Absolutly no regrets.

Mark