Review on Linear Tube Audio Aero DAC

Hey Gon members,

I just submitted to Stereo Times my review on the new ,and the first, DAC that Linear Tube Audio has just released. For right now I would strongly suggest anyone in the market for a stand alone DAC, regardless of price, consider the Aero. Its build quality, R2R chip set, power supply, internal part selection and the tube based ZOTL analog conversion section leads to one of the most musical and analog type presentations I have heard in the last ten years. Not inexpensive at $3,950, but competes with my reference which sells for $10,000 more. You get a 14 day home . trial. So far no one has returned the Aero after hearing in their system. I go into many details about the Aero in my review, but wanted to give a heads-up for anyone considering a DAC purchase. I believe the Aero is a break through product based on price vs. performance. I'll let you know when the review goes up. Hopefully in the next ten days.

Terajay (Terry London)

teajay

@soix 

Hello and thank you for your post!

Can you or maybe others from this fine community help me understand something, as like I had mentioned, I am still trying to learn and understand the digital side of things?

I'm still trying to understand what the Aero Dac can and cannot accept as far as digital signals and what that actually means to me when searching for a possible new and upgraded transport to use.

So a thought was to find a CD/SACD all in one unit to use as the transport into the Aero via coax connections.  I wasn't sure if the Aero would be able to maximize the SACD sound quality though, so I wrote LTA about my question and they responded saying... "The Aero can accept PCM signals from a transport up to 24/192k but cannot decode SACD or DSD. I'm not sure most transports will output SACD anyway."

So, I'm thinking if I bought an all in one box CD/SACD player I could utilize its internal SACD dac via the analog outputs directly into my line stage and then just output the redbook signal via coax into the Aero. Hopefully thinking the all in one CD/SACD player would be a better transport than just using my vintage Rotel 955AX and also gaining SACD capability, albeit having to use it's internal dac for that medium.

The other thing that I noticed is that with both the Jay's Audio CDT3 MK3 and also with the CEC TL-2N is that on their back panel they have a switch at can upsample redbook cd to 176.4khz  (and via remote on the Jay's Audio CDT2 MK3).

So, I am wondering if because the Aero Dac can accept up to 24/192khz would that make my normal redbook cd's sound better than just having a transport that only output 44khz?  And if so, would I be better off getting either one of the Jay's or CEC truly dedicated transports and forgetting all about SACD as I would have to start that collection from scratch?

Any thoughts?

Thank you for sharing!

Best wishes,

Don

I just bought the Teac VRDS 701t Transport and it is a great machine. I’m using it with a LAB 12 DAC 1 Reference and it is a great sounding combo.

Herb Reichert used the LTA with the 701t and here’s the link

https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-88-teac-vrds-701t-cd-transport

So, I'm thinking if I bought an all in one box CD/SACD player I could utilize its internal SACD dac via the analog outputs directly into my line stage and then just output the redbook signal via coax into the Aero.

@no_regrets Unless SACDs are a large portion of your library I think this approach could make sense.  If that’s the case maybe get a nice Marantz player for SACDs and run its digital out to a DDC like a Denafrips Hermes into the LTA — the DDC will turn the Marantz into a much better transport.  Just one thought. 

I've had the Aero for about a month, and it is more than I could have hoped for. At first, I was a little concerned about the limitations, but I only listen to PCM, and it sounds great with a USB cable. It's almost unbelievable how good this thing is. Beautiful harmonics, pristine images, deep, tuneful bass, and that Berning clarity.

@lancelock 

Congrats on the new Aero Dac!  I'm excited to hear that you are loving it!

I'd love to know what you are using for a transport?

Best wishes,

Don