Searching for matching(?) Subwoofer solution

Hi folks,

I have a relatively new setup in my home office (12' x 14' with hardwood floor) and am seeking recommendations for a subwoofer solution.

Speakers: Ologe 5
Preamp:    Bryston P26 
Amp:         Forte 1A
Budget:     Flexible but just want something to provide a good match for the above components.
Music:       Mostly Classical and Jazz.  Some rock, some fusion.
Source:     Well, that's something else I am seeking advice on too and will post under the appropriate discussion topic

Problem is none of the local Hi Fi shops here in the Boston area have any experience with, let alone heard of Ologe speakers.  Couldn't get any recommendations there.

Has anyone owned or at least listened to these speakers? Or any of the other Ologe speakers?
The Ologe site (http://www.ologe-acoustic.com/) features a subwoofer called Ologe 20 at USD $8550.  
Just wanted to look into alternatives before dropping over 8 grand on the Ologe 20.
 I am open to but don't know much about subwoofer swarms.

I am not looking for anything overkill.  Just a subwoofer solution to nicely complement my somewhat modest home office system.

Thanks,
H
hleeid

@bdp24 wrote:

"would you expand on your recommendation of introducing a 90 degree phase difference between left and right subs?"

This is an idea I learned from a paper written by David Griesinger many years ago.

David recommended two subs, one directly to the left and one directly to the right of the listening area, up against the side walls. With the phase 90 degrees apart (in "phase quadrature"), this would approximate at the left and right ears the somewhat out-of-phase low frequency waves one would experience in a large hall. The result is a greater sense of being immersed in a large acoustic space, which means the ear is not perceiving as much "small room signature" super-imposed on top of the recording. As you hear less of your room’s signature, you correspondingly hear more of the ambient space on the recording.

Wouldn’t say it’s a huge difference, but as long as it doesn't bust the budget I think it’s arguably a worthwhile improvement. 

Duke

H

Your primary concerns seem to be a subwoofer that will match your speakers presentation, its just a modest office system but your open to the idea of swarm system.
  You should be looking for a DSP sub that uses a calibrated mic (not a smart phone) to make auto and manual adjustments to multi band EQ, variable phase, crossover slop and freq, adjustable Q, etc.. A sub that has the connectivity to daisy chain its equalized signal to non DSP powered subs for your own swarm if desired.
   Check out JL Audio F series and their CR-1 crossover $$$ read the CR-1 manual. SVS has a new DSP line, Syzygy, Martin Logan, Velodyne Plus did it all but they're no longer available.

tyray:
"And apparently I guess this type of interaction with someone on this thread is okay - if you have the swarm and have read the studies of Earl Geddes. Well I’m here to tell you it’s not.

I did look up this term though:

Psychoacoustic Phenomenon Pseudo Stereo Deep Bass

Apparently it does not exist.

I really wanted to ask is this psychoacoustic phenomenon only in playback and the recording studio environment? But I guess I can’t cause I don’t have the Swarm and haven’t fully read the studies of Earl Geddes."

Hello tyray,

Psychoacoustics is a legitimate scientific field of study that is very relevant in understanding how and why the use of multiple subs significantly improves the perception of deep bass response below 80 Hz in virtually any room.

I clearly stated on my 8/15 post on this thread, however, that the term "Psychoacoustic Phenomenon Pseudo Deep Bass" was a term I named and used to describe my perception of an affect I noticed utilizing multiple subs in my systems. This was a facetious term that I made up trying to be a bit humorous.  Sorry for the confusion, but I honestly didn't expect anyone to take this as a legitimate term.

To answer your question, psychoacoustics is an important factor in recording, such as the proper number and positioning of mics, and it's also an important factor in playback, such as the proper number and positioning of subs for good bass performance and the proper positioning of the pair of stereo main speakers in relation to the designated listening position for good midrange, treble and imaging.

I believe I understand you didn't like me questioning whether a Richard Vandersteen quote on their website, that I believe contains numerous errors and falsehoods, accurately represented his thoughts or was just promotional advertising prose.  We may never know the answer to this but I was just sharing my thoughts and opinion.

I also believe that you understood I wouldn't like your dismissing my statements on psychoacoustics as "psycho bass babble bullshit".  I disagree but believe you're free to state and share your thoughts and opinion.

I agree with you that we are all here to share thoughts and ideas with each other.  But I also think we need to agree to do so in an honest and free manner while also agreeing not to be too easily offended. 

Thanks,

Tim  

Duke, Thanks for the reply.

I need to re-ask my first question since I wasn't clear. Since a DBA system can evenly distribute low bass evenly to all parts of a room are you also able to distribute the mids and highs evenly to all parts of the room or are you still relegated to a single listening sweet spot in the room due to the directionality of the mids and highs?

Thanks

Audiorusty asked: "Since a DBA system can evenly distribute low bass evenly to all parts of a room are you also able to distribute the mids and highs evenly to all parts of the room or are you still relegated to a single listening sweet spot in the room due to the directionality of the mids and highs?"

Are you asking about speakers in general, or about my speaker designs in particular? 

Duke