Single vs. Dual Subs

It's common wisdom that dual or multiple subs help smooth out bass response in different spots in the room, but what about for a dedicated listening room with a fixed single listening position? What do two subs add to the music presentation that a single dialed in sub is missing provided that single sub is dialed in perfectly for the listening position?
Caveat: not interested in the SWARM method or multiple subs at the moment, strictly comparing single to dual subs
divertiti
Actually not a lot....

Take a look at the Room EQ Wizard room simulator.

I've run a few simulations and honestly with an untreated room the benefits of filling in nulls aren't something I can replicate.

If anyone puts together an REQ simulation that shows 2 subs vastly better please point me to it online, I'd love to learn that this is better than I think it is.

Best,

Erik
You may have a single, fixed listening position, but the sound that you are hearing is coming from the whole room.  And a single sub, no matter how well placed, will tackle all the acoustic anomalies that the room has.  
I have a small dedicated listening room with a single chair in it. I had a single REL sub and thought my setup sounded pretty darn good (Anthem STR, Merlin TSM’s), I decided to try adding a second subwoofer, the improvement was well worth the investment.
One sub can be fine with your head in a vice. It depends how important a smooth room is to you.

twoleftears

Grow another one?

It's all about nodes. With one sub in a room smaller than a wavelength no two locations are going to have the same pressure, i.e.bass response.