Six DAC Comparison

I am in the middle of comparing the sound of six different DACs in my system. I own them all (I know weird) but one of them is still within a trial/return timeframe.

Not to share specific comparisons today, but a couple of observations so far are that first, they all definitely sound different from each other. On one hand, they all sound pretty good and play what is fed to them without significant flaws but on the other hand there are definite sonic differences that make it easy to understand how a person might like the sound of some of them while not liking others.

Second, raises the observation that most of them must be doing something to shape the sound in the manner the designer intended since one of the DACs, a Benchmark DAC3 HGA, was described by John Atkinson of Stereophile as providing "state-of-the-art measured performance." In the review, JA closed the measurements section by writing, "All I can say is "Wow!" I have also owned the Tambaqui (not in my current comparison), which also measured well ("The Mola Mola Tambaqui offers state-of-the-digital-art measured performance." - JA). The Benchmark reminds me sonically of the Tambaqui, both of which are excellent sounding DACs.

My point is that if the Benchmark is providing "state-of-the-art measured performance," then one could reasonably presume that the other five DACs, which sound different from the Benchmark, do not share similar ’state-of-the-art" measurements and are doing something to subtly or not so subtly alter the sound. Whether a person likes what they hear is a different issue.

mitch2

If only they had flags and were in Texas.

On a serious note DACs in the 2.3K-10K price range may not knock your sox off as a very expensive /DAC/clock/Power source most likely wood?  Can you get your hands on such too (asking for a friend)?

What's the streamer, cabling, etc. feeding/exiting the DAC(s)?  With digital, the back of the house matters greatly. What's up there please?

Measured?

The analog back end affects the "sound" often more than the digi stage.

I've been interested in the Linear Tube Audio Aero, I have B&W 702 S2 speakers that are very accurate and currently just use my bluesound vault as a streamer and DAC. Thinking adding the Aero would be an improvement. I just need to go hear this i believe to see the difference it can make. Also interested in the Schitt Yggdrasil, but not sure why everyone says to go with the "less is more" version. Anyone know?

audphile1

@helomech

These days there exist $200 “Chi-Fi” DACs that objectively outperform the DAC3. 

says who? And what specific DACs are you referring to?
Sounds like ASR propaganda…

If you never listened to any how would you know? Maybe there is. 'Thomas and stereo' has reviewed and compared some of these Chi-Fi dacs very favorably with much pricier units placed in higher end systems. His reviews were very positive.

The price tag doesn't dictate the sound quality of the component.

Will be interesting to hear how the Linear Tube Audio Aero stacks up against the others costing 2X or more its price. Most reviews I've seen of it have been favorable. Have fun. Take your time though. Such comparisons can be difficult to ascertain given the fleetingness of audio memory and the time necessary to switch between them.