Smart power supplies for turntable

I've read a number of threads on Audiogon that address the importance of having an appropriate power source to maintain turntable speed. I live in an area with terrible power stability, at the end of a utility company's service area. We have lots of little blips, evidenced by audio equipment, tv's, etc. shutting off. I have a power conditioner (Niagra 1000) to deal with noise in the dedicated circuit for my turntable and other audio gear and a conditioner/UPS for my computer equipment.

My question is whether devices like the Clearaudio Smart Power 12v and 24v battery power supplies are a good approach to maintain turntable speed stability. Are there other conditioners or devices that can be used for a broader range of brands that perform a similar function?

Your feedback is sincerely appreciated.

sameyers1

A large Milwaukee M12 battery would probably run a turntable for 4 hours at least.

Just have two, one in the table the other in the charger. It would require a voltage regulator as cindyment remarked the voltage is anything but stable. It drifts downward as the battery discharges. 

Kingharold, In the context of your thread, wasn't it mentioned that your Clearaudio has a voltage regulator on board the chassis, feeding 12VDC to the motor?  Either that, or the $1200 option includes a regulator at its output.  Because of the voltage regulation, which is a very good way to go by the way, it is likely that the battery itself puts out more than 12V, because any VR itself drops some voltage from its input to its output. In fact, the voltage drop is necessary for good regulation. So, if one wants to build a less expensive version of a batt supply for the Clearaudio TT, one has to know precisely how the PS circuit is actually implemented, including precisely what is the voltage output expected from the battery to keep the voltage going into the motor stable.  It was at that point, I think, that you decided to spend the bucks on the OEM supply offered by Clearaudio.  Just hooking up a 12V batt (if it's a 12V motor) would be a bad idea, I think we all agree.  (I would still favor trying an AC power regenerator that has the capacity to supply AC power to other components in your system as well as the TT.)

@lewm Same as my conclusion. Absent knowledge of how my CA table regulates incoming power, better to try a regenerator and get clean, constant power for multiple devices. While I’m not averse to trying a DIY solution, I’m not interested in damaging the turntable by using what turns out to be an inappropriate power source. And if I did end up with damage to the table, the repair could cost as much as CA’s battery supply. I will stick with my plan to audition a regenerator at home to determine if it brings an audible improvement that both my wife and I find worth the investment. We both play instruments and know how they should sound. Our two sets of ears have helped us make other equipment purchase decisions, as when we got the Audioquest Niagara 1000. 

Their battery supply lists the output as 12V, but it also says NiMh 12V, 5000mAH. As a guess only, it is a 10x series NiMh, 12V nominal, but to as high as 13.2, goes down to 10.  This then supplies the turntable that has the DC motor controller with servo speed feedback back on optical sensor.

The output of the fixed supply is 12V. This was my point with the wide range of just using a battery. Odds are it will work, properly, if reasonably designed to a volt or two below or above 12V, but the only one who can give a correct answer is ClearAudio.

millercarbon wrote: I would just about bet the only other one that speaks from experience is kingharold, and he "wouldn’t stake his life" on there being any difference at all. "

For the sake of fairness I should add that I am seventy-two years old, and my hearing is not as acute as it was in years past.  Sharp eared younger audiophiles might hear more difference between the wall wart supply and the Smart Power battery supply than I did.