Sony Playstation 1 for a CD player ???

I'm using a sony playstation 1 for a cd player and it is a REAL SHOCKER!! I heard about how good it was over on 6moons.com Is anyone else using these as cd players too?
hifisoundguy
Reviving this thread, as I've had a Playstation in my system for a week now and couldn't be happier. With no warm-up at all, I plugged it in and spun a disc, and my wife and I looked at each other and broke out laughing it sounded so good. I've kept it on since, and I don't know that the sound has improved, but it's stayed steadily, delightfully great. It resolves enormously well--there's a sense of palpability to vocals, a timbral rightness to acoustic instruments, and low-level detail emerges from a clear backdrop. I could go on, but the point is this: if you're shopping for a CD player, spending $25 bucks on one of these might save you a few hundred or more. Look on half.com, where the prices are low and firm. I have the 5501 with the A/V multi out, which doesn't let you use great interconnects but to my understanding bypasses an op-amp leading to the RCAs in the 1001 version (same DAC). Some prefer the A/V out and build cables for it; I haven't felt the urge yet.
I bought one as a lark for 30 bucks and have to agree with the above that after a few days it was impressive. FYI, sued with mapleshade cork blocks and greg straleys reality ICs. Too bad after my son picked it up, and moved it a few inches, it stopped tracking.

But to put my money where my mouth is i just bought another one on ebay and ordered a PS audio power punch. Hopefully it will be a bit more durable. If anyone wants one for parts let me know.

Im loathe to believe that a fuse change can make a real difference but im willing to try. So what fuse brand and value would you reccomend. Also after opening up the unit i see the fuse is locked down with clamps. How does one get that little sucker out. Forgive me but im technically incompetent.
I use hifituning fuses and happy to report upgraded fuses (esp in UK) makes a huge difference. I've had friends use the furutech ones and i'm sure isoclean is equally good. I would suggest any upgraded fuses is better than stock.

As for which ones...take out your current one and order same. So many times, sizes etc.