Sound Impressions - Benchmark HPA4/LA4 in use with a quality vinyl rig?

I’ve read a number of posts about the HPA4 and LA4 inside and outside of Audiogon. Plus, a number of professional reviews. However, the vast majority of these are using DACs instead of phono stages, as well as solid state amps instead of tube ones.

So, I’m curious to see if I can get some feedback from those of you who may own one of these Benchmark line stages with a nice analog rig. I do realize that many consider the LA4 to be a straight wire revealing both the recording and your system. So, without engaging in a 30- or 60-day trial period off the bat, I would first like to get anyone’s impressions about how well these line stages sound with your vinyl, and tube amps.

And, does it make sense to combine the design philosophy of a HPA4 with that of my vinyl rig? The HPA4 would be in-between these…Tron Seven Phono, TW-Acustic 300B SET mono blocks.

Thanks,

Kenny

kennythekey

I haven't heard the Elector, but I have an SPL Phonos and I think it's a fine phono preamp.

Another preamp I can suggest is the Holo Audio Serene. It is very similar to the HPA4 with a tinge of warmth. It actually measures a bit better than the HPA4. I wanted to get a second HPA4 for my office system, but I thought I would try the Serene to have some variety.

It is not much different than the HPA4, but a few people have posted that they like it over the HPA4. I would not say that both are exactly what I want.

I use the Serene with my slightly brighter system,

Magnepan LRS+ speakers | Holo Serene preamp | Schitt Yggi+ Less Is More DAC | Sanders Magtech amp | Audience Front Row speaker cable | Audience Au24 SE and Benchmark XLR and RCA

I can easily replace the Holo Serene and HPA4 in either system with the other and be happy.

The Elector was reviewed by the Part Time Audiophile in 2022. He loved it and kept it for himself.

I had checked out the Holo Serene, but again this is a fully balanced preamp, so not ideal for a single-ended output. It doesn’t make sense for me to pay for a design feature marketed for better sound (low noise), and then not be able to take advantage of it. This is what I discovered years ago with my BAT VK5 feeding into my Conrad Johnson Premier 11a. I wasn’t getting everything.

I’m ideally looking for a line stage with 2 unbalanced preamp outs. The second out is for my subs. An additional tape out would be nice for a headphone amp.

LA4 owner here; no sheen, just tranparency, one does not even think about it in use. If you have issues then you need to turn over another rock to find the source of the problem! I love listening to my TTs through it, no exceptions.

All said, you may be after something else for some reason. Best of luck.

singingg,

Thank you for sharing your findings with the LA4. I plan on trying out the HPA4 in order to draw my own conclusions as the results are obviously system dependent. Actually, this makes sense for any new component in one’s system. So, providing a trial period is quite a problem solver.