Speakers, speaker cables or I’m getting old…

I began listening to my gear as it filtered in from various spots in the US. I bought cheap cables, as I waited for my cabling to arrive. I have a set of Heritage Specials, ran from a Pass X150.8. I noticed right out of the gate at what I would call “moderate” volumes there’s a frequency that “smears.” I’ve never heard this in any of my setups, have just read others reference it. Now, what I’ve noticed is as my gear has arrived and as the chain improved, it reduced, but is not gone and I’m unable to listen at louder volumes due to it.

The one item that’s yet to arrive are the speaker cables, currently on there is what was available at the moment, something very thin and cheap.

My prior setup was Harbeth’s off PL, and am very familiar with that sound. I’ve ran PS Audio BHK Mono’s off a set off Dyn Confidence and loved that too. I tend to believe it’s not the speakers. But rather the cheap speaker cables…Or, I’ve aged 3 years since I’ve had a 2ch setup, and my hearing has changed and I’m just more sensitive to certain frequencies. For the record, I’ve always been rather sensitive to an upper mid/higher freq sound, it pierces my brain. B&W + Mac comes to mind…ran that once as well.

The other oddity is that older recordings, or older remasters like Tom Petty Wildflowers and the off shoot releases from it sound amazing. Dave Matthews sounds amazing, Radiohead, Willie Bobo, so there’s a bunch that doesn’t generate that smear or sheen. I’m using qobuz. Really, anything metal related, Tool, Lamb of God, Metallica is a little harsh to listen to and moderate volumes.

Thoughts?

toddcowles

@sudnh There may be lots of fakes but it wasn't the case.

Kimber recommended 12 TCs for my system and they were downright bad - the sound was muddy and harsh.  They weren't a good fit for my system to my ears.

Kimber was easy to work, and that's why I tried the BiFocal XLs.  I think they are awesome and I also use their KTCG XLRs interconnects.  Also of note, Kimber Kable sometimes sells demos and trade-ins on eBay.  

Your amplifier and the speakers are great, but perhaps there is not the best synergy.

I tried Pass labs 250.8 mono blocks with my Dynaudio Confidence 60 and they sounded very good, but I preferred my Accuphase A46 and Mcintosh Mc 611, and zero brightness with both.

@zszwedo I do think the Dyn + Pass combo is magical for many.  I like them, but have been A/B’ing the Harbeth SLH5 XD’s and the Dyn HS.  Very different speakers.  Comparing them for my personal tastes, I’ve opted to go with the Harbeth’s.  They’re using the Esotar tweeter from the Confidence line, I too have owned a set, but I think that tweeter sounds best when paired with their 3-driver  Confidence line.  Granted, if one isn’t in the Confidence price budget, this is a great speaker in lieu of that.