Step Up Transformers….Are they Worth the Trouble?

Some of you may aware of my Garrard 301 project, it’s now very close to completion. The plinth finally shipped from Hungry after 3 months of long wait.

Given my last experience with Hana Umami Red, I would like to take things to the next level. Which brings me to mating low output cart with a SUT. Every review I’ve read so far suggests when the SUT-MC match is right, the end result is heavenly. The bass is right, the midrange is clear, and most importantly, the highs are relaxed and extended—not rolled off.

I am not saying you can’t get great sound without a SUT but it appears with a properly matched SUT, sound can be quite magical.

Thought this would be the right time to get input from experienced users here since I am still contemplating my cartridge and outboard phonostage options.

My preference would be to go with a tube phono…I kinda miss tinkering with tubes :-)

My system, Garrard 301 (fully refurbished), Reed 3P tonearm, Accuphase E-650 with built-in AD50 analog board ➡️ Tannoy Canterbury’s.

Cart and phono under consideration through my dealer,

Fuuga - Output : 0.35 mVrms | Impedance : 2.5 Ω (1kHz)

Phonostage - Tron Convergence and Konus Audio Phono Series 1000

The cart - MC combination, I am lusting after is Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux MC with their Etsuro Transformer.
https://www.etsurojapan.com/product/bordeaux

The other transformer is EMIA, cooper or silver version.

Your input is appreciated!

128x128lalitk

Steve Gutenberg is a mid Fi guy which is a good thing. He reviews equipment that most of us can buy. He prefers a more romantic, bloomy sound. The Zesto phono stage is a great example using four 12AX7s. I understand the leaning towards SUTs and I have heard some great systems utilizing SUTs. I also prefer simpler gear with fewer switches and connections. My favorite phono stage for two decades was the AR PH3-SE with RAM ultra low noise 6922s. It was killer with MM cartridges but did not have enough gain for most MC cartridges. I tried it with SUTs but always preferred the sound with high output cartridges. I have to point out that it is highly likely that a cartridge like the Soundsmith Voice will outperform a MC/SUT combination. It will be more dynamic and have a vastly superior signal to noise ratio. The situation does not tilt towards high gain phono stages and MC cartridges until you are spending in the vicinity upwards of $15,000 and most of us are not spending that much.

“The situation does not tilt towards high gain phono stages and MC cartridges until you are spending in the vicinity upwards of $15,000 and most of us are not spending that much.”

@mijostyn 

Your point well noted. I am beyond the $15K mark but still below my initial goal of staying under $30K. 

@lalitk 30K gets you an awfully fine phono stage and cartridge. With that kind of money I would get a loaded Channel S Lino C 3.0. and an Air Tight Opus 1 or a Lyra Atlas SL or maybe even an Ortofon MC Diamond.

@mijostyn 

Sorry for not being clear earlier, I meant $30K for complete analog setup. This includes, TT, Tonearm, Cart and Phono. 

Your recommendation for cart and phono duly noted. 

In that case I would get a Sota Sapphire, Kuzma 4 point 9, Channel D Lino C loaded and an Air Tight Opus One or Lyra Atlas SL