Step Up Transformers….Are they Worth the Trouble?

Some of you may aware of my Garrard 301 project, it’s now very close to completion. The plinth finally shipped from Hungry after 3 months of long wait.

Given my last experience with Hana Umami Red, I would like to take things to the next level. Which brings me to mating low output cart with a SUT. Every review I’ve read so far suggests when the SUT-MC match is right, the end result is heavenly. The bass is right, the midrange is clear, and most importantly, the highs are relaxed and extended—not rolled off.

I am not saying you can’t get great sound without a SUT but it appears with a properly matched SUT, sound can be quite magical.

Thought this would be the right time to get input from experienced users here since I am still contemplating my cartridge and outboard phonostage options.

My preference would be to go with a tube phono…I kinda miss tinkering with tubes :-)

My system, Garrard 301 (fully refurbished), Reed 3P tonearm, Accuphase E-650 with built-in AD50 analog board ➡️ Tannoy Canterbury’s.

Cart and phono under consideration through my dealer,

Fuuga - Output : 0.35 mVrms | Impedance : 2.5 Ω (1kHz)

Phonostage - Tron Convergence and Konus Audio Phono Series 1000

The cart - MC combination, I am lusting after is Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux MC with their Etsuro Transformer.
https://www.etsurojapan.com/product/bordeaux

The other transformer is EMIA, cooper or silver version.

Your input is appreciated!

128x128lalitk

@mijostyn 

It sounds like you got carried away by your love for Sota Sapphire, Kuzma 4 point 9 ….appreciate the good-natured exchange! If there's anything you'd like to add to SUT+phono discussion, feel free to share. I'm all ears!

I fail to see how the usual use of Audio Equipment is able to be suggested to be anything else but a method to be entertained.

Music is more than entertainment for some of us: it is nutritious, sustaining our spirit just as food sustains the body.

By the way, congratulations on your quick recovery! (Maybe it's the music.....)

@dogberry I think music is a separate issue almost entirely. I can enjoy music on a transistor radio. Being an audiophile is about the sound for which there are innumerable definitions. For me it is recreating the live performance on my audiophile system. My shop system on the other hand is only about volume, but that system is in use most of the time.

“Music is more than entertainment for some of us: it is nutritious, sustaining our spirit just as food sustains the body.”

@dogberry, well said! Regardless of how we choose to listen, music is an essential element of my daily routine. 

@dogberry not a quick recovery or one needing congratulations, but at present my recovery going better than was suggested by a Consultant. I am now up to 8000 Steps on Three Days during a week, with other walk outs being much lesser in Steps on intermediate days. I'll take that as a win, as I this is doing better with my aerobic recovery than was anticipated. 

I also did manage to get out and share time with a friend, experience their Home Audio System for a short period on the weekend. Maybe the meeting with a friend was the experience that was the milestone as a point in recovery, the music encounter be just that a music encounter.

As for the rest of the attachments that can be added by another to what a use of a Audio Systems is presented as meaning. I'm sure there are plenty out there, I'm sure they are all able to be a furthering of a form of entertainment when discovered.