Stock Voyager GaN amp (350/600) Contrasted with my EVS1200 (600/1200)

The Voyager (V) I received is well broken in, and as the title says, it is stock. An upgraded version will come later.

I let the V warm up for ~ 24 hours while I listened to my beloved EVS 1200 (~$2300) playing a wide variety of Redbook CDs; The Judds, Chris Issak Heart Shaped World, Leonard Cohen remastered collection, Willie Nelson Across the Borderline, the Eagles Hell Freezes Over, and Jennifer Nettles Playing with Fire (love the music, but the mastering has a few ear bleed cuts- or does it???). I capped the session off with Roger Waters Amused to Death SACD, a huge, occasionally very dynamic, and intentionally phasey recording. While I enjoyed the hell out this listening session, but afixed in my mind was reading others reporting on their not fully broken in V amps frequently mentioning detail/clarity, the music via the EVS 1200 wasn't as focused as I felt it should, but have accepted for 2 years, as it easily outperformed my PS Audio M700s (MSRP $4000), FYI, their M1200s are based on the same IceEdge AS1200 modules as my EVS 1200, but untouched. They simply added their own tube input stage (MSRP $7000), and Audio Alchemys DPA-1 ($2000), wish I could have tried the monos ($4000), but...

Could  the lack of focus be elsewhere, like the Wire World Electra 7 Power Conditioning cord ($240), connected to my Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5, which is IMO, my weakest PC, all the others are $700+, or my $150 Pangea XL coax cable? How would the V stack up?  Im thinking it can't be THAT much better, and what about the huge power disparity in my ~ 26 x 38 X 12 lively room with lots of glass and open beam ceilings, which adds up to brightness?

I connected the V, but didn't want to start with any of the same discs, just in case the V needed to see some signal before being ready for the comparison, so I chose Getz/Gilberto Jobim and Astrud Gilberto SACD as a nice way to ease into the Voyager. I haven't listened to this disc in months, so no recent memory to taint hearing it now. Did I say 'ease'. Silly me.

I'll cut to the chase hear/here, from the first note, it was obvious that this is a special amp, but at $3500 MSRP? OMG: What a steal!!! The focus reminds me of how much sharper and with greater depth of field pictures taken with Leica camera lens are, compared to all other cameras and lenses. GaNs magic is the equivalent of Tesla EV motor speed- immediate: The V grabbed me from the first note.

More  to come after I go through the Redbook CDs that I started with, but I already know it's a moot point. And wilder, still, LSA has already made a few tweaks, like the internal wiring for an additional $175.

Ric Schultz was right when he said expensive amps will be boat anchors
tweak1

Morning Phil!

FYI I should, could might.... finally get the EP 2.8s next week. In the mean time, what I learned from reinserting the Marantz HD CD-1, especially after taking the cover and side panels off was revelatory. I could easily have lived with that sound, but, I guess it was supposed to die, just so I would finally upgrade to a real transport. What I especially like is the 6000 has a buffer AND it will go into standby should I forget to hit stop when a CD is being played, then paused. A situation that happens all too often here, and could likely hasten the demise of my Oppo, or the Marantz

Tracking says it will be here Thursday. It's supposed to be virtually brand new, so will need to insert a break in disc in advance of my audio buddy's arrival Friday night. I hope it has a replay button

Per the pictures and manual, it (the Audiolab) has a repeat disc button both on front panel as well as the remote.

IMO, the manual SUCKS, but DAMN, it’s ability to extract data from red book is amazing at this price point

It is sturdy, and it seems to have a tribe of happy users, so, Im confident it will last. I think the problem with all my previous players when used as transports, is that I watch sports while listening and often hit pause, and forget to unpause, eventually falling asleep, leaving the disc spinning all night- many nights, so the auto standby is a HUGE plus for me. It really has taken redbook playback to a whole new level for me. Obviously the power cord (custom from TekLine $795, which I already owned), coax cable (AudioQuest Premier XL @ $169/2m from Audio Advisor) and iso devices (Nob Sound @ ~ 25/4) will help to extract its capabilities.

My dac is in a Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5.

The review I posted is spot on (link below). I have played a wide variety of music, all revealed musical ques previously hidden to me, none more jaw dropping then listening to an oldie Chet Atkins and Mark Knoffler Neck and Neck. So much more everything to make me wonder about SACDs, though I have ~ 80, currently I use my Oppo 105 for them, but looking to get a Technics SL-G700 (see link below).

That's one of the reason probably 11-12 years back I finally went to file playback.  Different disc formats and I think at one point I had 4 or 5 transports in the main system at one point at the same time.  Then it was universal players (still have my Modwright solid state modded BDP-83 (which only sees use if someone brings over a disc at this point) and a few other Oppos (sold my 203 and have a couple of 103Ds but they are all barely used except in secondary systems for file playback from my NAS as the Panasonic players are better at video).  Had the Modwright full tube mod to my Sony XA-777ES in the late 1990s.  My Lumin U1 network file transport just goes to sleep after 15 minutes of no use and the files are on my NAS in another room.  All my audio discs are in Can Am (http://www.can-am.ca/) storage cabinets in a closet.

There are audiophiles who have taken apart the Voyager GAN amp and have been critical of its construction. I don’t know if they listened to it or not. I have a modded (by EVS) and can say unequivocally that for just under 3K invested, including mods, that this amp is phenomenal. And has some excellent amps sitting on the bench. This amp has my Spatial X5s producing an unbelievable sonic soundscape. And, I don’t herniate a disc or get a hernia when I move it.