Subwoofers.... one 10" or two 8"?

I'm looking to fill out the bottom of my simple 2 channel system  (Musical Fidelity X-Ray CDP through Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated amp to a pair of Mirage OMD-15 full range speakers).  I occasionally will play the TV audio through the system for movies, but not interested in an HT setup. Music is the prime focus. The room is "medium" size.  I know that will not give the deep bass feel of a 12", but the difference should not be too great, and a 12" may be overkill for that room.  I've also considered getting two 8" subs to keep the sound balanced between the left and right channels. I think the  8" may be enough bottom for my room and tastes. I'm on a budget so getting a pair of anything bigger than 8" may not be in the cards.

Any opinions or suggestions as to whether I'd be better off with one 10" or two 8" subs?

larstusor
Hey eric 
. Aren't  reflection points playing a big role there also . When i used treatment on the points . The ole mirror reflection spot gik talks about it helped immensely. Op cant run treatment though 
@oleschool

Um, not sure the context, but true subwoofers have no real reflection points, the waves are so big that a reflection point would be around 10’ wide. At the mid to high frequencies where the wavelength is near or smaller than the driver dimension, sound travels like rays, so reflection points in a room matter a lot and are easy to treat with conventional panels and diffusers.

On top of that, most panels are completely ineffective below 300-400 Hz. Instead we rely on bass traps placed in corners where the maximum pressure points occur. Even a lot of "bass traps" don’t go much lower than 120 Hz, and below that is where the big issues occur. In this area, the GIK Soffit traps are unbeatable for effectiveness and cost. 

Best,

Erik
@leotis 
Your 8/13 2:27AM post seems very helpful.  THANK YOU.

I'm planning to try it integrating SVS SB1000s with Silverline Prelude Pluses that claim a lower end of mid 30s Hz.  

For anyone interested, an on-line tone generator is available at the link below.

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
Eric sorry i was speaking in broad terms like mids etc I suggested gik bas traps i use them and with a few other panels an diffusers it changed my game . Gik was just saying in general terms have a freind hold a mirror for you against the reflection wall until you see your speaker and start by treating that area with a panel etc . Obviously not accurate for all app my speakers are 4’ from the side walls corners are trapped . This all becomes meaningless if treatment is not an option
    Ghosthouse just curious why the svs no gripe or pro for it just curious for your decision over others
Hi Eric,
Beg to differ. Easiest and most accurate is the method I described very briefly. All you need is: play a test tone at the crossover frequency with reversed cable polarity at the speaker, listen for the null as you adjust the phase, correct cable polarity and done.. Don’t want to write a chapter on it so I posted a couple links. "Soundoctor" Barry Ober, tech support at JL Audio sells a disc for $20 with test tones and a variety of other tools for optimizing subwoofers, along with instructions for the why and how of it.

http://www.soundoctor.com/testcd/index.htm

Cheers.