Technics SL 1200 GR

Hi everyone,

I know that a lot of you might think I am crazy but it is what it is.  I heard a Rega Planar 6 play a few days ago and was totally mesmerized with the sound. This will be my first TT and I am the type that prefers to buy the best I can instead of starting small, selling and upgrading. I have to admit, I do enjoy fiddling with upgrades but the idea is to get a future proof turntable and upgrade stuff like cartridges, etc along the way.  

Before you recommend that I get the P6, its simply out of my budget. I could consider the P3 if you believe its better than the SL 1210 GR (not the latest model 2 but the original one). 

Anyway, here are some questions I was hoping you'd be able to help me with:

• What will a good starter Cartridge?
  • Should I go for MM or MC? Is one more complicated to install than the other? prefer something simple as its my first time.  Also, I read stuff like LO and HO.. For what ts worth, I will be using my Marantz PM Ki Ruby's built in phono (I believe it can handle both MM and MC, I could be wrong).
  • Anything else I should keep in mind?  Basic products for maintenance? 

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it!

prashanth14485

@lewm @yogiboy @newfzx7  thanks for your inputs. I went ahead and placed the order with more confidence. I'm super excited to see this beauty in person.  

Cartridge options in no particular order:

• Hana S MC Cart ($750, not ideal)
  • Grado Opus 3 MI ($300)
  • AT VM540ml ($250)
  • Orotofon Blue or Black

What do you guys think about the Nagaoka JT 80 Black? Also, in that <$500 price point.

Thank you so much for your help!

In addition to the Nagaoka JT 80 Black, which I have, I would also recommend the Nagaoka MP-500. Both are excellent carts. The MP-500 will give you more transparency and perhaps keep you from wanting to upgrade down the road. 

Post removed 

@prashanth14485

As daunting it may seem but Installing cart is relatively an easy task. Don’t over tighten the screws..lol. Here are couple of must own accessories that will make your life easier, both of these accessories are available from Elusivedisc.com

1) Audio Additives Digital Stylus Force Gauge 
2) Nasotec Headshell Lead Tweezers