The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions

George,

Show me where it is stated that the Merrill uses higher than 500K for its switching frequency. In fact, Merrill stated (on this site) that higher frequencies for switching were harder to do. I hope Mr. Merrill steps in here and clears this up. What he seems to claim is that the zero dead time using GaNs plus his zero feedback circuit are what makes the great sound.

Nuprime is using 700K in their latest amps and they are said to be making some very nice sounds.....also has 1meg input impedance and very trick power supplies with discrete front end.  Their amps are using Mosfets on the output.

The new IceEdge modules have "dead time compensation".....maybe that is why they sound so good.

And your old one with the lower switching frequency, will become unsellable junk save for use as a bass amp.

Don't need to sell what I'm happy listening to George.

Best,
E

Yep George, 'tis all one dark ominous conspiracy at the expense of brave audiophiles worldwide... There are rumors of a mysterious kabala of notorious class D mongers to undermine the Faith of righteous audiophrenes. Could even be the "deep HiFi State at its most nepherious purposes"... 'Best continue to read 'em safe reviews and specs instead of  getting out of the house and exposing your ears to the spiritual corruption of unsafe audiophilic experiences *Grins!*

Saluti, G.

G.

George makes up something untrue about Merrill amps and all he can do is say that whatever I say is biased because I am selling something. The truth comes from different places.....even from manufacturers. My amps will speak for themselves. If they are good, they will sell. Trust no one (neither George, nor me nor anyone). Trust your ears. Listen and decide. You cannot know anything about how something sounds without listening to it. Class D (and all classes) are getting better and better. Whatever you heard before is not what is best today.

All class D amps have the switching noise superimposed on the audio signal.  However, how much does a low level 500K sign wave affect the sound you hear?  Pretty dang far out of the audio band.  It does make sense to use a higher frequency so you can filter higher and have even less noise......but how much does it do audibly?  Only those that have tried it know.  All else is a guess.  Personally, I believe it would make more difference to use better coils and caps on the output of the amps.  Cryoed PCOCC inductors and super capacitors would give way better sound.  No one is doing this. The future is bright indeed. 

Now, single speed DSD has a problem with noise, for sure.  The noise at 50K is a lot and that can fold down into the audio band.  I read somewhere that double speed DSD has 40db less noise at 50K (40db is 100X!!!).  No wonder it sounds better. Quad speed is a little better yet.

It will be at least 5 years before there is an absolute state of the art class D amp.  There might? be something like that available now in class A in the AudioNet latest amps ($105K the pair)......or maybe the D'Agostino monsters ($250K the pair.....and 574lbs each).

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/raising-the-bar-a-preview-audionet-stern-preamplifier-and-heisenberg-monoblock-power-amplifiers/