The "how many reviews it got" rule

This is my rule of thump when I purchase components online
without having heard them first.  If a component received a
lot of reviews, chances are the component is very good.
I mean the component has to be good to attract a lot of
reviewers. Most reviewers probably wouldn’t
bother to review something he doesn’t like in the first place.
andy2
So refreshing to see the group at least has some members aware of the audio racket. re: media, mfg and brick and mortar dealers. The trifecta of how to control a market. Keep people in the dark, or confuse them with crafted special terms for everyday stuff, blow things way out of proportion. I not only reveal the BS I find but I do straight comparisons on video, so you can hear the reality of the newest "giant killer" against a 20 year old giant and see who fares best. I show you how to make a grounding box for yourself instead of paying through the nose, I show you how to recreate the special magic "field" resonators using product made for other industries that people repackage for this industry, so they can rake in cash.. go to You Tube and search for "OCD HiFi Guy"  I find the truth and share my findings
Post removed 
There is an old saying that I believe to be true’, “We do not see what is in front of our eyes, we see what is behind them”. I think this applies to audio equipment and reading reviews. Once we take on a belief about a product, it sticks. The product might not be very good, or a good value but that will not matter. The audio mags create a lot of that “belief”, I think mostly to help sell audio equipment. 
Bigkidz and Mikepowellaudio make good points here. I would only use reviews as a very rough guide and don’t take them serious. Go and listen to any equipment that peaks your interest. Decide for yourself, be your OWN audio guru. The belief should not come from a review. IMHO.
There was a mag called "Audio Ideas guide" written solely by it’s editor Andrew Marshall from Toronto.As an English major his writing was concise,readable and very informative.No flowery language or hyperbole.
I thought his reviews were spot on and fair.
He stated specifically he would not review anything that he thought was inferior in quality or overpriced compared to other products.
I don’t think any of our current mags come close to the standard he attained with his periodical...I regret his publication is no longer available .(At least not here in the US as far as I know)
I don’t think any of our current mags come close to the standard he attained

I don't think it's a fair criticism.  If it were that, then we wouldn't have Ferrari or Lamborghini.