Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
128x128jafant
marqmike

Good to see you again.  Do you know the number of owners of your CS 2.4 prior to purchase- I wonder if one of the previous owners swapped the plates or something else...

Happy Listening!
jay - I suppose folks know that Thiel, with its nuts and bolts x no bullshit approach, started every model with serial number 1, which was mated with number 2 ,  all matched pairs were odd-low.

We kept the design prototypes. My 2.2s are -3 / -4 (final, pre-production.) Early + numbers went to dealers for display. Usually reviewers got numbers in the 100s after the display and pre-buy pipeline was somewhat satisfied. The products were quite thoroughly engineered and required no changes except when production drivers drifted or shifted parameters for some reason, such as different surround, etc. viscosity etc. . . stuff happens. Eventually there might be some refinements which warranted the x.x.1 sub model changes we addressed earlier.

Usually the second generation of a product was called the x.2. But one exception was the CS6, which in the early days of Thiel in-house drivers, received some upgrades to the midrange driver and consequent changes to the crossover, and was called the CS6.1.  I estimate the date around late '96 and don't know the serial number of the change. Rob would probably know. I'm gradually collecting such information. 
andy2,

I think I get where you are coming from.

When you really look in to what Jim Thiel was doing - the clarity of his design goal, and then the obvious challenges it presented, and then the absolutely clever way he continually improved the design, carving away at the liabilities inherent in trying do make first order T/P coherent speakers, (and not only that - really great engineering all around, including the bass drivers/motors etc) it really adds up to a unique and compelling package.

Though I researched and auditioned many other speakers, and of course other speaker manufacturers are trying to up their own game as well, very few presented the same sense of clarity of vision and goal, to reach a place most manufacturers abandoned, which such a singular engineering talent at the helm.

I think many of us love our Thiel speakers as that entire package, not just the sound but what the speakers represent in terms of their goal and the engineering talent they represent. 
tomthiel

Thank You for this piece of information regarding the numbering sequence of Thiel's loudspeakers.  No doubt that Rob is your Man for such historical and valuable insight.  Happy Listening!
I think many of us love our Thiel speakers as that entire package, not just the sound but what the speakers represent in terms of their goal and the engineering talent they represent.

Well said prof (maybe prof is a real professor :-)

There is another manufacturer that I admire although for a different reason.  Sonus Faber's sound is probably completely opposite of Thiel but their design has the same vision as Thiel engineering.  Their speakers to me are sculpture first then engineering (like Italian cars).  I probably will never own one but I always enjoy looking at them.