Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
128x128jafant
@prof  140w of tube power is good enough to drive them well but regarding solid state you are better of with at least 200w or more.Ghyphon Diablo 300 is the perfect match for them IMO.
Hey Guys!

I hope you are all doing well. I was just wanting to report on a really fun listening session I had yesterday. JA and I have been planning to get together for a listening session for some time now and I was so excited to have him over for a listen yesterday.

I had the system up and running well before he showed up and when he got there we started out listening to the DAC. I have a PS Audio BHK 250 Amp, BHK Signature pre, and Direct Stream Jr. and we were listening to Qobuz hi res files and of course Thiel 3.7s. We listened to several tracks off of Jamie Cullum's "Twentysomething" while increasing the volume by increments of 5 every song. Then we switched to Rolling Stones "Midnight Rambler" and then James Taylor's "Gaia" before switching to the turntable. I thought the DSD Jr handled everything we listened to very well. "Twentysomething" is a Jamie Cullum album that JA turned me onto. JA uses this album as a reference album and for good reason. It is a very well produced album with an excellent jazz trio and a very tight performance. I could hear all of the instruments distinctly and clearly. There is a lot of texture on this album as well that the system put on full display. JA suggested we try out "Midnight Rambler" to see how the system handled a live rock n roll song played on electric instruments.  We finished up with Gaia and both commented on the panning bass effect at the end of the song.

From there we switched to the turntable and immediately started with Gaia, again, for contrast. I have a MoFi Ultradeck with master tracker cartridge and PS Audio Stellar Phono. I had previously been having issue with my turntable and it wasn't sounding as good as the DAC to me. Now that I have everything dialed in more, that is no longer the case. As expected, Gaia on vinyl sounded much better, warmer and more natural.

Other artists we listened to on vinyl included Claypool Lennon Delirium "Little Fishes", Warren Zevon several tracks from "Excitable Boy", Nils Lofgrin "Keith Don't Go"(Quality Record Pressings UHQR version), Elton John "Someone Saved My Life Tonight", Chris Thile and Brad Mehldau "Scarlett Town", David Byrne several tracks from "Grown Backwards", Charles Bradley "Changes", Waylon Jennings "Omaha", Tom Waits "Take Care of All of My Children", Pink Floyd "Dark Side of The Moon"(First side), Paul Simon "I Know What I Know" and maybe some JJ Cale.

We listened from 10am until almost 3pm and I could've kept pulling records. It was an awesome day and I really had a blast. As always, I learned a LOT from JA. I really appreciate you taking time on one of your days off to come hang out. Thanks JA.

One thing I did forget to ask JA about after we finished listening was my dented tweeter. I am guessing I know what he is going to say but I don't want to put words in his mouth. JA- Thoughts on my dented tweeter? Should I worry about getting it repaired anytime soon? I honestly forgot to have him even look at it.

Thanks for anyone who made it this far. I just wanted to share the experience with all of you. Enjoy your weekends and your systems.
bighempin,

Sounds fun. 

But who is "JA?"

Also, about the tweeter, from my experience having had dented tweeters before and talking to manufacturers about it, a dented tweeter doesn't necessarily result in audible problems in sound quality.   I've had what looked like a seriously dented tweeter, but the speaker sounded the same to me, just as good, before  I fixed the dent.  (And the manufacturer indicated that would likely be the case too).

thielliste,

Yeah, the Thiels seem to perform well with tubes IMO.

As to SS, from my experience I can only say that 250W of Bryston power drove some Thiel CS6s that I had very easily.   The 3.7s should be even easier to drive.

If one has a really big room and listens really loud, that could change.  But then, moving between 250 W to 300, or even 140w to 300, is a very modest increase in actual available loudness potential.