Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
128x128jafant
You can use the battery to gauge woofer movement. Are both channels moving similarly with the 6 volt signal?
@last_lemming Do you have a way to measure SPLs, confirm your subjective impression? When I rebuilt my CS2.4 crossovers, I was able to compare the before and after frequency response using the SafeNoise app on my iPad and a tone glide.

BTW, not that I think this is your issue but have your tried a set-up with the speakers on the shorter wall? Either way, I suggest taking a look at the Cardas website for some placement ideas to try after you figure out your problem.

I have a pair of 3.6's that are now 25 years old (nothing I heard in all this time makes me want to retire them) and I am concerned about old age issues. Have any of you had problems with the drivers?  I am wondering if it is a good idea to take apart the tweeters and clean out and replace the ferrofluid. Or better yet, does anyone sell the rebuild guts?

Thanks
GS - you might call Rob Gillum at Coherent Source Service about this matter. Tinsel leads do eventually fatigue, and Rob has replacement moving systems on hand. The little I know about ferrofluid is that there are many types and quantity is critical. I don't see advantage to preemptive repair. I'm still using mine from 1989 CS2.2 prototypes with thousands of hours on their odometer.

Let us know what  you might find out from Rob about FF replacement and other issues. 

I am presently working on that tweeter via faceplate surface and diffuser  modifications. That tweeter was Thiel's first ground-up design which was for the 1988 CS5 (with trickle-down to 2.2 and 3.6).