Thoughts? - First Watt F8 / Vandersteen Treo's

Always have been interested in the Treo's after hearing these at a friends.  I have run across a lightly used pair but it seems to me looking at the specs these are not a good fit with my First Watt F8.  The F8 being a Class A puts out 25 W - 8ohms.  The Vandersteen site shows a minimum of 40W into 8 ohms and sensitivity of 85 db.  First glance tells me that this is likely not a solid combination.  Thoughts? 

norust

@tomic601 is correct.  They are not hard to drive at all for great sound.

Comments like these are simply not correct:

That amp will not cope well with very hard to drive Vandersteen speakers.   I would echo Soix's POV exactly.  Those speakers need a bit more oomph.

I drove my pair of Vanderteen model Sevens with an Art Audio 28wpc stereo amp that was simply amazing sounding. We use our own 40wpc class A tube amps that make them really sing also.

Zero feedback amps make Vandersteen speakers really sound their best also.

Happy Listening.

@bigkidz 

I drove my pair of Vanderteen model Sevens with an Art Audio 28wpc stereo amp that was simply amazing sounding. We use our own 40wpc class A tube amps that make them  really  sing also.

Art Audio has some wonderful amplifies. Did you have their Carissa 845 SET?

Charles

The difference between 25W and 40 W is roughly 2dB, between 25 W and 100W is 6dB. Unless you're a head banger in a big room, you'll be fine. Just understand the limits, and maybe think of it as 'qui-fi' - as in quiet fidelity. You'll be surprised what a good 25 W amp is capable of.

Vandersteen calls the Treo a 6 ohm load. Unlike most solid state amps which have more wattage into lower impedance loads the F8 reduces power  into lower impedances putting out 1/2 power into 4 ohms so the 6 ohm output is probably midpoint or about 19 watts into 6 ohms. This is way too low power to handle significant peaks. Even assuming the advertised 85 Db for 1 watt the Treo will die above about 98 dB peaks.

That speaker needs some real power. Those first watt amps are designed for baby speakers that are high sensitive.