Two sets of binding posts on PS Audio M700 etc.

Why do my M700's have dual binding posts per speaker?  I've seen Paul say it's good for bi-wiring but what good does that do if it's still using the same amp?  

I guess they can also be good for wiring in REL subs.

What other purposes do these serve?

I noticed the same on the Musical Fidelity M8xi integrated amp that I'm about to trade for (trading Mcintosh ma7900 amp).  

dtximages

Some feel biwiring (not necessarily biamping) is advantageous which is when two sets of speaker cables are connected to the amplifier (hence dual sets of binding posts on the amp to facilitate it a little easier), and the other ends of the speaker cables going to the speaker. One of those cables is connected to the low end binding posts of the speaker, and the other cable is connected to the high end binding posts of the speaker, provided your speaker is biwire capable. Again, some swear by biwiring, others don't. I've always believed in buying the shortest, best speaker cable for a given price instead of buying two lesser quality speaker cables for the same price and biwire, but that's just my opinion.

biwiring has many fans and probably as many detractors. Try it. I prefer a cable that can be external configuration as your amp supports. Biwire is most effective when you can keep the HF wire run 2-4" from the large field producing LF wire. Many but not all of the detractors have only heard an internal biwire cable...hence drawing the wrong conclusion....imo.