Unplated copper spades/banana

Good Morning.

I am doing some research on spades and banana plugs for speaker cable.  A friend of mine suggested I go with pure unplated copper instead of gold plated copper.  Does pure copper offer any sonic benefits over the plated versions?

Thanks

M

mpomerantz

As I read all these posts, I can't help but wonder what the systems of the people posting are like.  If your system cost less than $10k, I'd be surprised if it would reveal differences in plating type or plated versus unplated.

I also wonder about the listening skills of those posting.  Do they have have a playlist of "system test" tracks that collectively reveal the major aspects of sound quality?  Do they have a disciplined approach to listening?

I'd like to hear from someone with a $250k+ system who is a highly skilled listener.

For what it’s worth, coming from Monoprice 12g wire with Nakamichi bananas, I went with the Viborg pure copper banana plugs on Furutech FS-A36 12g speaker cable. I tried one speaker with the Nakamichi & the other with the Viborg both treated with Stabilant & the Viborg & the OCC Copper made a HUGE difference. And I thought my system sounded good before the change.

@dougthebiker 

As I read all these posts, I can't help but wonder what the systems of the people posting are like.

I often wonder that too.  Mine is posted, as is yours, and it is nice to have that perspective about the system a poster is listening to, in order to help understand how they developed their viewpoint. 

twisting it to the Romex and using two wire nuts (not recommended and not approved by code!)

Hardwiring is code-compliant, you just need to provide an appropriate junction box. 

Using "two wire nuts", however, would be a code violation as it would leave one of the 3 conductors unconnected :)

Hardwiring individual components may not be ideally convenient, but it would seem appropriate for a power conditioning unit.