Use of Denafrips Iris 12th DDC with computer

When streaming from a computer I am wondering about improvements one might  get from use of this DDC between computer and DAC.  Anyone with experience using this unit this way? Thanks in advance.

mesch

@mesch 

Going from a Jay's transport to an Audio mirror dac has to spoil you pretty good soundwise. If all you need your computer to dac for is background music for a secondary system, I seriously doubt you will hear a noticeable difference with a DDC. We are usually talking critical listening here, not background music. And a DDC main goal is to turn usb feed into something else, AES, I2s, coax or optical. Going usb in and usb out is just unheard of. Since you were talked into the DDC  I hope it will make you happy. BTW, I do use one, turning usb into I2s. It does the required job.

@mesch 

I would try something like the ifi silencer+/usb noise filter at $59.  It makes so much more sense than the DDC in your application.

A computer is not ideal because of all the compromises. It’s not designed to be quiet and free of noise. 

I upgraded to All DigiOne Signature with Linear Power Supply and the sound is very noticeable. Way more detailed. 

the two endpoints of our rigs are most critical (source and speakers) so anything u can do to improve the source will matter. 

@mesch 

I found this video by Paul McGowan of PS Audio.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Paul+McGowan+talked+about+the+digital+signal+in+recent+Copper+Magazine+and+the+early+Genesis+Digital+Lens%2C&atb=v342-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMaYz9hwXWXo

trivema gave me the idea to look up what Paul said and I found this.

I have a Windows 10 desktop (6 feet away) connected by USB to a Denafrips Gaia DDC connected to a Denefrips Terminator DAC.  I use the computer so can see the streaming company's song information on my 60 in. TV.  The 2-channel and Home Theatre systems are in the same room.

I enjoy the convenience of this setup more than I would with a dedicated streamer.  I have not found any indication that a streamer would better my current audio quality without spending above 10K.  If there were any dedicated unit that would give me the same visual enjoyment and convenience that I have now and improve the excellent sound I currently have, I would be interested.

If there were any dedicated unit that would give me the same visual enjoyment and convenience that I have now and improve the excellent sound I currently have, I would be interested.

@firstonetallguy Here’s some good evidence from an above post by @tds3371 who also uses a Gaia from his computer and got a significant improvement from simply adding a modest Node streamer.  If he got worthwhile improvements from a Node one can reasonably assume adding a better streamer from Innuos, Aurender, etc. would provide even greater improvements.

Long story short: I’m truly amazed at how good it all sounds - especially for the modest cost. As others have stated, a dedicated streamer (even a spartan, entry-level model like the Nano) is, IMHO, definitely worth considering.