Very short speaker cable length recommended?

Hi folks, I've read some article that a too short speaker cable could make the sound worse, is this true? The statement was btw from MIT. I've always thought a short speaker cable (less than three feet) could bring improvement to the sound, at least it wouldn't do any harm. What is your opinion regarding this issue?

Chris
dazzdax
I used to feel the same way and had been using a one metre length of upscale name brand cable.Then I experimented with the room/speaker set-up and moved the speakers away from the power amps and used long runs of another brand name cable but but much lower down the price scale.
The result was that I preferred the cheaper longer runs of cable.Go figure, not what the gurus preach,but it worked for me.Could be a better capacitance match with my amps(solid state)but I am just guessing as I am no techie.Try it, but it will be hard to find long lenghts of most popular brands.I went from one metre to 7 metres a side.
Cable makers price their product by the foot. What would you expect them to say?
My 3 foot Goertz are intended to simulate having no cables at all, which is what I think would be best. Supposedly the Goertz stacked flat wire configuration gives electrical characteristics which are not only ideal, but also, apart from resistance, are not affected by length.
Sean used to argue against the conventional wisdom of long ICs and short speaker cables, reeasoning that the "stronger" signal from the amp is better suited to a long run than is a line-level signal. Others disagreed, of course.

We tend to accept conventional wisdom (why wouldn't we), but it makes sense to revisit every now and then. See the threads on direct drive and idler wheel turntables.
Quaker State and Pennzoil recommend oil changes every 3,000 miles while my manual says 7,000 miles. Hmmm.
Which arguments do some experts have for stating that a longer speaker cable (8 feet and longer) is better than a shorter one? In digital interconnects 1.5 m seem to be the minimum length, due to signal relections within the cable, but with speaker cable we are dealing with very different (electrical) characteristics. What in the case of built-in amps in some (active) speakers? There is no speaker cable at all. Is this electrically bad? It's puzzling to me.

Chris