VPI 16.5 clamp

Any using a better clamp or know of a better clamp than the dinky stock plastic one?
128x128wilson667
Wilson
Make sure the flat surface of the clamp is up this should solve the problem. When the other side is up the clamp doesn't hold some records tight.
Another possible cause of slippage, or maybe a better term could be called siezing.

The Vacuum Wand could possibly be out of vertical adjustment. There is a Collar on the vacuum wand assembly which is adjustable in height, and held in place with an allen set screw.

To adjust, remove Vacuum Wand Assembly, remove Coil Spring.
Now, with a Record on the Platter, swing the Vacuum Wand over on the Record. The collar should be adjusted that the Wand just contacts the record surface. If not, loosen Allen Set Screw on Collar, raise, or lower Collar on the Tube, and tighten Setscrew. Mark
are you saying an out-of-alignment wand would slip the record??

BTW VPI has a new Delrin wand now, lifetime guarantee, no cracking.
I bought a second hand HW-16 that appears to have been kit upgraded to a 16.5. It has the original foam platter. I've never experience a problem with slipping, but I have had a record or two seized by the vacuum wand. The LP stood still while the platter spun under it. I need to work on the wand's adjustment it appears, but I'll deal with it when my new wand arrives. The used one looks well used.
It's hard to make a case by case determination on each and every machine, if there are those who note seizing, or the record slips, or another result of mal-adjustment of the vacuum tower assembly can be cracked vacuum tubes.

A few months back, Harry W himself described the vacuum tower adjustment on the VA forum which I mentioned earlier.

If the collar is too high upm on the vertical vacuum tube, it will then permit the entire wand to come down further than it needs to onto the record.

With the vacuum pressure to continue to draw the entire wand down past the actual height of the record, this cause excessive pressure upon the record and wand, can be a cause of cracking the wand at its junction, and can perhaps be causing too much friction between the wand, and record to cause siezing, or slippage.

Excessive pressure as well could possibly also cause premature wear of the velvet protective strips.

Thanks for the heads up about the new VPI Delrin Vacuum Wand, will have to research this some more. Mark