What does a bad tweeter sound like?

Can anyone describe the sound....could it be louder than normal?
128x128stringreen
Thanks all....I just removed the tweeter from my Vandersteen 5A (left side) and am sending it back to Vandersteen for a rebuild.  I hear just as you describe...louder on that speaker, fuzzy and metallic on some frequencies.   I thought it was the midrange, speaker, but removed that one last month, got it back rebuilt, and the noise is still there.  I hope its the tweeter.
Post removed 
I just found the 5A crossover. :) I would leave it alone unless you are already pretty well versed.

The 5A uses batter biased caps int he mid and tweeter sections. Pretty funky if you ask me. :)
Geez Stringeen ......I thought you had '' golden ears '' as you have proclaimed here after working in recording studios and you couldn't tell know if those older Vandersteen's tweeter is gone ? Maybe it is time to use them as door stops ......  
...just got the tweeter back and installed...just as I thought - the tweeters were checked to be working perfectly.   Vandersteen told me to check for tightness around the face plate....if not buzzing, then the only thing left is to check the crossover.   YUK.  This is no fun.