What has been your costliest mistake in this hobby?

For example :I recently learned a hard lesson- I accidentally ran voltage thru my $3000 MC cartridge (kiseki purple heart).  I have a TT with 5 prong connector and a phono cable with a 5 prong connector.  I accidentally swapped where they plugged into and ran electric thru the tonearm into the cartridge.  It was a stupid - not thinking- hasty mistake. When I corrected the problem the cartridge was fried.  An avalanche of four letter words followed!

So what has been your biggest and/or costliest mistake?
polkalover
+1 kairosman

Yeah, I don’t drink, smoke, or gamble (well except driving on the roads in West Texas)

Finished building a pair of stand mount speakers that I still have, after sending them in for paint, which was by the guy next door to the speaker factory I worked.. I chipped one of the burgundy candy apple speakers, and had to have it repainted - of course not candy apple again.

Purchased a pair of floor stander speakers that I thought looked great and initially sounded ok, to never use them or sell them, lost in a move.

Forgot to have my D-class amplifier hooked up to speakers and blew a module, fortunately I knew a guy much cleverer than I who fixed it for me.

Purchased three mid-fi pre amps that introduced so much noise into my system that I have them back in boxes and in the garage. I use the volume control on my DAC straight to the power amp now.

There's probably so many little mistakes along the way I'll recall when others post theirs...

millercarbon

now that you mention CD’s,

1st: 8 tracks (hundred of them).

Cassettes made 8 tracks cheap, 6 for $5.00 (incl tax .88c each). Had no disposable money in those days, so every payday I would wander the music store, decided to buy stuff I would never spend any real money on, listen to them when I retire. Acquired a few hundred. Pressure pads rotted, worthless.

2nd: CD’s (thousands of them).

I quit smoking 32 years ago. Decided, as an incentive, the bills were getting paid, I will spend my cigarette money on music and music equipment. Carton a week was $700. in 1988. Gave myself a yearly rise in pay as cost of cigarettes increased .../yr, now $3,900 in NJ, $6,700 NYC.

Aside from some nice equipment, I bought a load of CDs, so many, I needed space, and normal 12" binders fit the inside discs between the rings, not fitting the booklet, so, Harrington’s had very nice deep leather binders. each page 8 discs with booklets, fit 80-100 stuffed each. Music, Movies, Music DVDs, eventually 45 binders. I never imagined how 22 years would add up (I quit this 10 years ago, when I retired age 62).

Then, rediscover LP, I play few CD’s now, but not many, and I am replacing my favorite CD’s with Vinyl if available.

Cannot sell them, plastic cases tossed, and I thought my sons would inherit this ’flawless’ collection. They don’t have a CD player in their house or car.

Thank goodness I kept my LP’s, people who quit LP gave me theirs, ..., weeding now, found successful cleaning method, down to 2,500.

Lost money: cost of 300 8 tracks, 3,000 CD’s,  37 leather binders, that’s no small potatoes.

Selling my (4) Marantz 9's for $10K over 30 years ago.  They went to SONY HQ in Tokyo but i kept the Marantz 7C which I am just now getting ready to sell.