What if a high end speaker measures really badly?

You know, it's true that I feel listening is more important than measurements and that it's generally difficult to really tie together measurements with pleasure.  Below 0.05% THD do I care?  No I do not.  I really don't care. The number tells me nothing about whether I'd like the amp more or not anymore.

In this one memorable review for the Alta Audio Adam speaker, I really felt shivers go up my spine when I looked at the measurements, especially at ~$20kUSD.   This looks like an absolute hot mess.  Does it sound this bad though?  I certainly don't have the $20K to test that out myself. What do you all think? 

erik_squires

If it measures badly and sounds good, it is good.

If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad.

Hmmm, let me take a guess.... He a) bought the drivers from someone else b) threw it in a box in an exotic garage and c) wants to charge 20k for something that measures like this...meh

No thanks...I’d probably send this speaker back to its daddy.

(In general, put some high caliber electronics on any pig and it could start to sound pleasing at some point. But, the pig is still a pig that’s getting carried.)

If a speaker costs 5k and above, my core requirements are:

a) All drivers need to designed/developed in-house from scratch!

b) Everything about the speaker should be designed from the ground up!

c) Measurements should indicate engineering competence, even if it is not pristine

Here are the measurements close to my 30k speaker (everything developed in-house from scratch by the manufacturer)

Here’s the measurement on my 15k speaker (everything developed in-house from scratch by the manufacturer)

Here’s the measurement on my 5k speaker (everything developed in-house from scratch by the manufacturer)

If it is under 5k, i am forgiving of the drivers coming from someone else. I’ll forgive you!! But, now, it better measure like a pristine cat, because the manufacturer’s doing way less work now!!

So, here’s my 3k speaker (~1500 if ya DIY’d the kit) with drivers from someone else.

Narrow-band peaks and dips which occur within about 1/3 octave of one another tend to be "averaged" by the ear. Therefore, that on-axis frequency response graph looks far worse to the eyes than it sounds to the ears.

The on-axis dip at 3 kHz is wide enough to survive the ear's "averaging" characteristic, BUT it corresponds with an off-axis rise in that region.  So my guess is the designer put a dip at the bottom end of the tweeter’s range to compensate for an off-axis "flare". Imo this is a good design choice.

The on-axis emphasis centered around 11 kHz can be compensated for by listening off-axis.

In fact, it looks to me like at about maybe 10-20 degrees off-axis the 3 kHz dip fills in and the 11 kHz bump smooths out.

My guess is that this speaker would sound excellent with proper set-up.

Duke

Not an Alta Audio dealer

@soix has it right. The Alta Audio speakers should be listened to before buying. I was one of those commenting on the Alyssa thread about frequency response and discontinuity issues. There were three speakers from them represented at Axpona. I heard the same issue on all of them. After the show, I wanted to see if there were measurements out there showing what I heard. Stereophile measurements of the Adam and Alyssa clearly show issues at around 3k, and to me it is audible. I wanted to like them, because they look beautiful. Some people may like the sound that they produce, I did not.