What's my best upgrade options

Hello Audiogon forum,

I have an opportunity to upgrade something, but I'm unsure what the best option would be.  I just got a pair of Magico A5s, and they were a huge upgrade to my system.  I think what I'm looking for is more clarity, more crystal clear detail, maybe lower noise floor, if that makes sense.  I have an ARC Ref 150, PS audio BHK pre and stellar phono pre.  My sources are a Rega P3 with an older Ortofon MC 30 and a Cary audio CD500 cd player.  My cables are a mix of whatever I got from a dealer buying complete systems a long time ago, and some i've bought since.  I also have a surge protector I run everything thru, except the amp, I run it directly into the wall.

My options are a PS audio power conditioner, a rega P6 with newer ortofon MC cartridge, maybe a PS audio CD player or jay's audio CD player.  I could also get better speaker cable, and / or XLRs.

Thanks y'all.  1st post!

dothebluecolts

Is vinyl your primary source? Will it remain your primary source?  If so, the consensus suggestion here is correct in my opinion.  Your turntable rig needs a meaningful upgrade that is not a Rega product, especially if you have a ton of records that you (like me) are actually going to play. Spend the money now, and take comfort in knowing that great turntable/arm combinations will outlast us both.

Good luck 👍 

The OP didn't mention streaming, but that was my first thought. 

Before I bought my Innuos Zen Mk3 streamer, I used my Denon DCD-1700NE sacd player more than anything.  I tried the vinyl route. Spent around $4500 on a TT, Hana cartridge, and Sutherland phono stage. It sounds great, but I'm not into the cleaning and flipping of records.

I run the Innuos into a Gustard U18 ddc then to my Gustard R26 dac. Also using a LHY ock-2 clock and decent cables. This combination sounds better than the sacd player. 

gonna have to agree with many other posters.  a $2k turntable with $25k speakers and $20k amp/pre (when new) is out of balance.  you could probably get a pretty nice TT for $5k, but I wouldn’t bother if you’re only willing to spend $2k; I’d just plow that into a better DAC and call it a day.

You didn't mention your room.  Every flat surface in your room is a transducer that reflects, cancels and muddies the sound.  How much does you sound change when you stand up?  How about when you lean forward in your listening chair?  Unless you have already treated your room I would suggest purchasing a couple of acoustic panels and just lean them up against wall and then move them and listen.

A simple heavy blanket over your flat screen increases clarity and depth.  If you have a coffee table between you and the speakers try moving and giving it a listen.  Acoustics don't have to be permanent but simple changes can make a difference and then can be removed for returning the space back to a more normal configuration.  You'll also learn what make a difference and when you want to make the changes for good you'll understand it better.

Agree with many that upgrade of the sources are a good next step. Also agree that going from rega P3 to P6 will not yield much benefit. I purchased a P10 last year and put it on the market the next day. My old Heybrrook TT2 with a Alphason HRS-100 MCS was overall better. There are very good turntables in that price point. Although, I prefer higher end belt drives, Technics looks very tough to beat in that price point matched with something like a Hana SL. The best cart under 1k$ IMHO. Good luck in your search.