What the Best Dac have you heard or owned. How could you tell it was that good.

I wondered what’s the best sounding dac you have heard or owned. What did it do that the others didn’t. 

calvinj

DCS: Known for extreme transparency but lacks natural and musical qualities, resulting in a flat and boring sound.

Playback Dacs Offers exceptional value for both money and performance, stepping above the DCS's signature sound. Preferred over MSB for its impressive performance as a solid state DAC.

Lampizator: Provides a nice, colored sound appreciated by some but not favored by all.

Aries Cerat achieves a favorable balance between PD and Lampizator, presenting a well-rounded sound that is both pleasant and user-friendly. It stands out as my personal favorite, effortlessly handling complex music with finesse and agility.

For Tube Based DAC, For me Aries Cerat,
Solid State DAC, Playback Design
Overall after comparing both I prefered the Aries Cerat Kassandra over the Playback Design.

There are so many very good to great DACs these days! I went to AXPONA earlier this month just to listen to as many DACs as I could (and there were quite a few). I ended up purchasing a Bricasti M21. Why, you may ask. I have perhaps an unusual explanation. As time has passed, more and more I cannot recall the specifics of each presentation I attended, even if they were quite marvelous -- except for one, which was the Bricasti M21. It was exceptional when I heard it, and I can still clearly remember some of the tracks played and my reactions when hearing them. I have to mention, however, that the rest of the Bricasti room's demo system was also terrific, so, to a certain extent this purchase is a leap of faith on my part because I have been unable to hear it on my own system.

After auditioning and comparing my incredible Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty Streaming DAC to several other more expensive reference DACs (and some less expensive), I opted for the Ayre, and I have been extremely happy with it every since. I felt that any variations in sound quality between the Ayre DAC compared to, and, in some cases, those DACs costing significantly more, just didn’t justify the increase in price. After 3 years with the Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty Streaming DAC, I’m still in love. Happy listening.

I have not heard expensive dacs in my system but my modded PS Audio DSD sounds good for a $3500 dac. I experienced my dac improvement with added mods and now fully upgraded with APS nickel transformers, VOCM mod and analog power supply board powered by a Keces P3 with a Neotech 20ga silver dc cable connecting Keces power supply to power supply board in dac is the best sounding dac in my system so far. All that said I have not tried a lot of different dacs in my system.