Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Tonight's listening shifted to classical...

To get the system warmed up, a little organ music first: Marie Claire Alain playing Bach on Erato (ERA 50527). Alain's always enjoyable Bach performances are consistently well recorded on Erato.

With the cartridge nicely excercized with 40 minutes of organ, time to move on to some orchestral with Dimitri Shostakovich:

Shostakovich, Symphony No. 6, Berglund/BournemouthSO, EMI (SLS 5177, 2LPs)

Shostakovich, Age of Gold Ballet Suite, Martinon/LSO, RCA (LSC 2322-45 Classic Records 45 rpm reissue) - excellent LP in this 45 rpm incarnation. I always enjoy the Polka from this piece; Shostakovich's droll humor at his finest. You can also find this movement played delightfully by wind ensemble on the Opus 3 "Bofors Musikkar" (7903) or Opus 3 Test Record ("Timbre," I believe).

Shostakovich, Symphony No. 11, Berglund/BournemouthSO, EMI (SLS 5177, 2LPs) - a truly monumental work encompassing three sides of this 2LP set, wonderful!

This music and these recordings are hugely demanding of any playback system. When they comes across with the complex interplay of rhythms, textures and instrumentation cleanly delineated, you know your system is pretty well tuned. If any of it sounds the least congested or lacking in resolution, you have work to do.
Just Friends - Zoot Sims and Sweets Edison on Pablo. Better than average recording even by Pablo's standards.
A great Sunday afternoon of listening:
Harry James - Comin’ From a Good Place - Sheffield Lab # LAB-6 – A large, large warm grin . Rushton, give this one a try as well .
Diana Krall - “The Very Best of Diana Krall” - Verve - 2 LP set - What a Sunday Afternoon is all about.
Malcolm Arnold - English –Scottish & Cornish Dances - Lyrita - Stereo – SRCS.109 - If you don't have socks on after listening to this one, it is not because you did not have any on when you started.
Mozart - “Mass in C Minor” DG reissue by Speakers Corner - If you do not believe that there is something beyond this existence, listening to this record might make you start to think ..
Happy Holidays to you all.
Rgds,
Larry
Hi Larry (Cello), great list of music; I like your selections! Yes, the Harry James "Comin' from a good place" is a good 'un. Love the Arnold and the Mozart Mass recordings!
Led Zeppelin....Physical Graphitti, recent events have me thinking about them again :-)