When I listen to my system.......

As I have stated many times, I listen to the musicianship and the composition. As I listen to SRV, just as an example, there are three musicians working together to create a "performance". How is it that anyone can put tone, sound staging, or anything else with the "sound" before the performance. There is much information on our recordings, and generally, many of these recordings are just so so with the fidelity. In fact, why do many listeners only listen to top notch recordings of higher fidelity, of the "sound", rather than appreciate those qualities I look and listen for. Is it because I was a singer / vocalist in my youth? Is it because I was around musicians who shared the joy of "music"? Is it because at a very early age, I was introduced to big band music and eclectic performances by so many, via my dad (he would have been 100 today; happy birthday dad). Yes, I consider myself an audiophile, because I spend money on gear and am careful with my dedicated room....my system allows me to hear more of the performance. But, it is the "music", the "performance", that matters most to me. I suppose I am feeling a bit nostalgic today, because of my pops. I am bringing this up again, because I do not understand the mentality of folks who listen differently than I. I know this subject might be ad nauseum to many, but some of the folks I used to design systems for, became less interested in the music, and more about the sound, placing the music and performance secondary, or not at all. I am just venting. If you would like to add to this post, I welcome all thoughts. No judgement from me. I wish everyone well. Enjoy! MrD.

mrdecibel

I'm going to use a couple of car analogies.

If I am taking a scenic drive it is much more enjoyable in a clean Lexus than a rusty Yugo with dirty windows. It's the same scenery but the experience of driving a nice car is, for me, much better. I can enjoy the drive in both cars but give me the Lexus any day.

Decades ago, in the age of AM car radios, a guy I met at a conference turned out to be an audiophile and we were discussing our hobby. I mentioned the "goose bump test" for audio systems and he said, "Yeah, but I can get goose bumps listening to the car radio." I thought for a second and agreed.

Bottom line, I like listening to music whether it's high fidelity or not. The only exception is a few rock concerts I've attended where the sound was painfully loud and distorted. But give me good music with a poor recording and I can get plenty of goose bumps.

@immatthewj

I do not understand the mentality of folks who listen differently than I

"My way is the right way so therefore yours is wrong."

I'm not sure how you get to that interpretation of the OP's statement. He said he didn't understand why some people listen differently than he does. He never said anything about whether he or those people were right or wrong.

I'm glad that you remember your Dad like that.  Mine was an EE and skeptical (to say the least) about unmeasurable sonic nuances. Still, it made me smile when he got a look at my stuff and marveled that I had equipment with "bottles"!  When he passed I found myself building a 2A3 amp almost reflexively.

@ezwind

Understanding is the key to stop sociopathy.

I am bringing this up again, because I do not understand the mentality of folks who listen differently than I.

@8th-note Good analogy and one I often use.

@ozzy62  + 1 more.

@ OP

There is much information on our recordings, and generally, many of these recordings are just so so with the fidelity.

I've often heard about the bad recordings.   and how the stereo which pointed out these bad recordings were accurate. Those which make them sound better are supposedly "colored". I remember starting down this audiophile trail and having albums & CD's that were unlistenable. But as my system has become better and better I have found that these unlistenables became more listenable until I'm not sure I have any vinyl left that doesn't sound pretty good. Of course, I haven't played "Layla" in a long time which may be 6the final test subject. Being a musician also, I also value the musicianship. So it is a balance of ALL the music attributes and a good system brings more music to my liking because of its ability to sound somewhat live instead of a recording