Which cartridge do you use with the vpi classic?

I just recieved the classic and it totally improved the sound of my analog setup. This is one of the best buys in audio, it only took me half an hour to setup, maybe an hour total from opening the box to playing, this is great for those who just want to listen to great vinyl without the fuss.
I am using a denon 103r with incredible results, the phono stage is a JLTI, an audio experience preamp and sim w-5 amp with merlin speakers, one would think this is a million dollar system.
I highly recommend the classic.
Now would like to improve in the cartridge department.
pedrillo
Amyone that sticks a $5k cartridge on a $2k deck with an average arm needs their head read or their ears cleaned out..
Dover, what in your opinion is the "correct" price ratio between cartridge and table/arm?
What really bothers me ( I know it shouldn't) is that the VPI 10.5 or Classic arms (Valhalla)(they are really the same) have a reputation on this site of being "average" at best. In truth, every time this arm is professionally reviewed it gets high praise. I have compared it to the many arms of much higher price and prestige points, and although they may sound a bit different from each other using the same cartridge, they aren't better if both arms are properly set up.
Stringreen, don't fret. I own the Classic with the Classic 3 wand. I admit the unipivot system can be a little finicky, but with the right carty the damn thing sings. What's really going on here I think is that there's an undercurrent sense of insecurity that unless you spend your retirement savings on gear, you're wasting your time and settling on mid-fi.

Stringreen, I know you own and love the Vandy 5As. No problem there. Somehow, I wound up getting the Paradigm S8s (w/ Be tweeter). Wasn't even an informed decision. Just happened. As an aside, the top end Magico speakers also use a Be dome tweeter -- but guess what? Magico doesn't make the Be dome in house because it's a toxic material that's hard to work with. Try this -- Paradigm makes their own Be tweeters, dome and all. Why? Because they know how to!

Mark Mickelson and at least 4 or 5 other respected reviewers would stack the S8s up against speakers costing many multiples of the S8s. How can this be?? It's reaaly simple Econ 101. Paradigm owns its own super high tech testing center. They also make pretty much everything in-house except for the cabinets which are made in China. That means QC is top notch. And R&D and other fixed costs are spread over a huge product line. If you didn't take Econ 101 in college, you just won't get it.

And what does this have to do with the VPI Classic. The Classic is a darling in the high-end community. And if you can work your way around the set up peculiarities, the damn thing sings. Is it possible that a TT gizmo costing $20-25K sounds better? Who gives a sh*t. My VPI works great and I enjoy whatever I play on it.

Yeah, maybe one day I may spring for the Benz LPS, but not today. In the meantime, the Zephyr tracks like a champ and sounds almost as good as the Clearaudio Maestro -- which says alot!

Bottom line: I'd mount any carty I can afford on the Classic as long as it can be set up properly and it's compatible with my ARC PH-7 phono pre. The only hesitation is I'd need to pop some valium if I busted the cantilever on a $5K carty.

So, that my Sunday night long winded post that basically agrees with you.