Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
tweak1,

It sounds like you have a lot of experience which I think is critical in building a system you really enjoy. Listening to the opinions of experienced individuals on audio forums like this is helpful but I believe most of us learn best from actual personal experience. The process of just trying different things ( amps, sources, speakers, positioning, room treatments, cabling and even tweaks), over time, results in a solid foundation that not only lets you know what sounds good to you but also how to attain those sound qualities in your own system.
My interest in class D amps began by reading numerous positive comments on them here and on other audio forums. Eventually, I just bought one (a ClassD Audio SDS-440-CS stereo unit) more out of curiosity than anything else.
I was amazed at how well this small, light, efficient and inexpensive ($600) amp powered my inefficient Magnepan 2.7QR speakers. It was better in every respect than the class AB Aragon 4004 MKII amp I used previously and it was about a third of the size, weight and cost.
Actually trying it out in my own combo music and ht system convinced me how exceptionally well this class D amp performed and I was now curious about the differences between class D amps. Within a year, I bought a few more class D amps: a stereo Emerald Physics EP100.2SE and a pair of mono block D-Sonic M3-600-M amps. These both sounded very good and similar but with better dynamics and improved midrange/treble qualities I’d describe as warmer and smoother.
My entire 5.1 ht surround and 2-ch music system is now powered by class D amps and I’ve sold all 3 of my previous stereo class AB amps. My system’s never sounded better and there’re no downsides.
I think the class D experience I’ve gained has also allowed me to confidently realize that class D critics are typically either misinformed, have an ulterior motive or simply have no personal experience using good examples of them.

Later,
Tim
Tim, The Audio Alchemy class D are far superior to the EPs. The Absolute Soud reviewed them back in March of 2016. I found it after having bought the AA stereo amp and dac/pre. These days the come u for sale at < 50% off, probably ONLY because they are no longer being made
Hello Tweak1,

Thanks for the heads up on the AA amps. I'm currently using the EP in bridged mode on my Magnepan CC3 center ch.  
    I discovered both the AA and EP amps use the older UcD class D power modules that are still very good.  Since you own both amps, I don't doubt your view that the AA implementation is superior but rather question whether the performance improvements would be sufficient, in mono on a center ch speaker,  to justify the $ outlay.
    I'm thinking it'd be more beneficial to compare my current monos driving my L+R mains to monos utilizing the new GaN FETs or the upcoming Atmasphere class D amps that may perform even better.
     I have a combo ht and 2-ch music system but my priority continues to be optimizing the music reproduction aspects.

Thanks,
 Tim
Well, just because they both use UcD does not mean they sound the same. I found the EP monos thin in the mids, which exaggerated the highs. They were used with my KCIIs as is the AA amp 

anyway, Im getting PS Audio 700Ms and the gaincell dac/pre at a great price, so that should be a fun comparison. The PS only has about 300 hours so needs a couple weeks breakin before I can compare
tweak1:

"Well, just because they both use UcD does not mean they sound the same. I found the EP monos thin in the mids, which exaggerated the highs. They were used with my KCIIs as is the AA amp."

Agreed.  That's what I meant when I stated "I don't doubt your view that the AA implementation is superior" on my last post.
      'Implementation' referring to how AA and EP implemented or incorporated the similar UcD class D power modules in their amp designs, with the understanding they're not identical and that you thought the AA implementation was superior based on its sound quality.

Thanks,
  Tim