Which pair of speakers changed your Hifi life?

*** I am not trying to create a debate or a quarrel with anyone. My discussions are purely having a talks and to express one's experiences. Also to learn fellow audio lovers passion. Please do not disrespect with hurtful words or expressions. Please be more forgiving and understanding in this discussion thread. Thank you." ***

Hopefully one day, someone would say "Mon Acoustic speakers were the turning point in my Hifi life".  😃

My 2ch-audio journey began when my uncle bought his BOSE system at his home (don't even know the model or never really heard it) in early 90s. Bose was rear and expensive in Korea(South) back then. So I started my own system with Bose Cinematics 2.1. Then moved on to Goldenear Triton 3, then to Triton 1. But more utilizing the speakers for AV set ups, not 2 ch stereo.   

When I had my first house, I bought a pair of Revel M105 speakers and I think these are the pair that really changed my audio life. My initial paring with M105 was Yamaha receiver. Then I tried goofie set up with center speaker 3.1 to see if it improves vocal in the songs I liked. We went through many combinations of system set up. I ended up with Chord Electronics set up. 

I still own them. Always struggle time to time, whether to sell them or not due to the number of pairs I own(out of a guilt). I cannot argue how many pairs of shoes my wife owns.  I pair them with NAD M10 (version 1) for my bedroom since my wife likes the warm and well rounded sound, and 80% its white design aspect. 

So what are the speakers that have impacted your life? 

128x128monacousticusa

While the needle had been firmly inserted into my arm for some 15 years, Accoustat 2 + 2s knocked my socks off in my new (to me) home (now here 26 years) with large listening room, terrazzo floors, and 12ft high open beam ceilings. The main issue is the listening area is 21 x 35, but due to the room layout, I have to sit at ~ 15 ft from front wall, so zero back wall reinforcement. But WOW they filled the room with sound. Alas, while the Accoustat tube servo amps sounded way better then the interfaces, they were prone to glowing tubes (in recent years mods available that makes them stable). Lots of really good speakers later, I have had Emerald Physics 3.4s for ~ 2 years, which comes close in wonderful room filling sound with my LSA Voyager GaN 350 amp, Audio Alchemy DDP-1 + PS 5, Audiolab CDT6000, and recently replaced the complete array of really good cables with Ali-Express Nordost Odin 2 knock-offs. Look them up, you won't believe the prices, or how much they CAN improve your enjoyment. I stuck my toe in the water replacing a Pangea Premier XL coax  (MSRP $169) with the Odin 2 for less money. Quality is extremely high and the improvement was jaw dropping. I then got a power cord and XLR interconnects, then more power cords and finally speaker cables, which replaced  ~ $8000 cables tieing it all together. With quality recordings, the sound is very holographic and I feel transported to the venue

hth

Snell A -II’s in the early 80’s for their deep, tight bass & full sound like few others back then. My brother’s Proac EBS’s around the same time for their great midrange  & 3 dimensional imaging w/ Conrad Johnson tubes. Finally, my Volti Audio Rivals now for truly live sound that bests most concerts I’ve been to other than the Boston Symphony in Symphony Hall. 

I have loved speaker every since my father helped me up grade my sunperman turn table by adding an extra speaker to it when I was about 6. The first was a pair of EPI that my uncle gave to me. This was the mix 80’s. I had to replace the woofers because of dry route. But they sounded incredible. They were warm with solid bass. I didn’t know what I had.  The other that changed me were a pair of energy speakers a friend had. This was back in 1991. It was a small pair of satellites hooked up to a small integrated amp. No sub. They did not do everything, but what they did do they did well. They imaged like nothing I had heard before.  I had a pair of self made speakers at the time ( I had been and still like to build speakers). They sent me on a quest to build or buy a different type of speaker. Before I focus on speakers that did everything but not necessarily right. To one’s that did what they could right. They also was the state of me learning about real hiring. What proper placement and setup could do for an ok pair of speakers. Also rom treatment, etc. I think I have come full circle and realize that there is not a perfect speaker. So I kinder love them all differently. I’m trying to break the habit.

For me, it was on a visit to my local audio store that I first heard a pair of ADS L810 speakers back in the 1980's. The music was clear and precise, with a sound I hadn't heard before. I took them home, tried them out and have been a big ADS fan ever since! I currently own their L1590/2 speakers and am satisfied that this will be my forever speaker!

+1 on the Kef 105’s. Way back in the late 70’s. I worked in a hi fi store to pay for college expenses. One of the guys hooked up a new pair of 105’s, sat me down and said listen to this. He put on “the firebird “ by Stravinsky and wow!!! These speaker’s were the only ones that gave me goosebumps listening to them. Since then I’ve been chasing the rainbow to get the same reaction from a pair of speakers. 
 I have had the privilege of being able to buy a few goodies over the years such as acoustat 1100, Martin Logan (various models), and a few other weird and esoteric brands. Fast forward to earlier this year, looking on Facebook marketplace, lo and behold. A pair of Kef 105/2 for sale at a steal price. Called and talked with the owner and found out he hated them! Didn’t sound like his Maggie’s ( duh). Set up a meet in a parking lot of a hardware store. Driving up I was amazed at the condition of the cabnets, like new. He had both types of dust covers( no rips or tears). Needless to say I kept my mouth shut, paid the man, loaded them up, and home I went. Full well knowing my wife would give me a hard time for buying another pair of speakers. (Side note , I had just bought a pair of Martin Logan’s). Well I deflected all the evil eyed looks, hooked the 105’s and the ml’s up and did a demo for her, not knowing what to expect. After listening to dido, the planets, tony Bennett, and Beethoven’s 5th. Her reaction was priceless. She said, the kefs were amazing!!! Now I have them set up as the speaker of choice for moment. 
  My home is currently under renovation, boxes, furniture, and stuff everywhere. When finished I’m going to hook up all my old guard speakers and do a fair comparison. I know most of you have mega systems that put mine to shame. I should say that this forum has helped me with several questions and thoughts. Thanks for the advice. 
  For now, I’ll sit back and explore my new node streamer and listen to the Kef 105/2.