Who actually heard the Infinity IRS?

I've been looking at the very high value Arion speaker and it's called to mind a vintage speaker, the Infinity IRS.  They are not the same speakers, but honestly I never actually got to even see an Infinity IRS in real life, let alone hear one.

I'm wondering if anyone has or even owns a quad (pair would be wrong) of them could talk about the sound quality and compare to anything today.

erik_squires

I heard ’em several times at a passel of L.A. high end stores and at a hi-fi show or two..Impressive & as big-sounding as their size imply,  They sound-staged like champs, but I only heard them once when they didn’t feel a bit hard, analytical and overbearing...I was actually relieved that I didn’t like them enough to feel frustrated by my lack of lucre & floor space to possess then.

I spent an evening listening to them in a private lounge, driven by what I recall was a huge pair of VTL mono blocks, along with a Rockport turntable. I thought they threw a big image but I didn't like the midrange- I was at the time a long time Quad electrostat/tube guy. The same party had a pretty crazy studio and had a pair in the studio to monitor (among others, including little Wilsons). That pair of IRS sounded better. But we are talking about nearly 30 years ago. 

There is a guy - "al rainbow" who posts at Myle's Astor's site. He has a pair, maybe modified, I dunno. It's been a long time! If you track down Myles, who is a pretty well known reviewer, you will eventually find "Al". Good luck. 

Audioquest in El Paso Tx. had a pair of IRS5's back in the latter eighties. I helped set them up and the owner and I listened and tweeked them till midnight or so. He had a customer coming in the next day to listen to them. I thought the sound was superb. They need a VERY large room. Most homes don't have the kind of space they need. They sounded best out a good ten feet from the back and side walls. I went in there in 1999 and he had them back for re-sale. I was tempted as the price was right, $3000 bucks.