Who said “ flat freq response “ is the best?

I have a dumb question?

who determined that the “ flattest frequency response” is the BEST?

we are all looking over specs and note all the +\- dB deviations from flat and declare it bad?

are we cattle? Or did someone like J Gordon Holt declare it?

Or am I missing something 

Anyway, I think about stuff to much...lol

jeff

frozentundra
@ieales : 

The market has just not responded that well to it. While Vandersteen and Thiel have ardent followers they also have not dominated the high end speaker market. Neither have single driver designs. 

Best,

E
Post removed 
@douglas_schroeder
Hi Doug, although I do agree that there are several speakers that are nice to listen to that don’t necessarily come close to that ruler flat acoustical challenge. I have to disagree on the idea that seeking and building toward that flat response a fairly fruitless effort.
All Amplifiers and Pre Amplifiers come VERY close in a flat response, but as you know, One can and will sound much different than another. The flat response is no more than the idea that everything starts with a level playing field, but yes, you are absolutely correct that a totally flat response curve does not at all guarantee excellent results and/or a system can be satisfying with all kind of things being out of wack.
@ieales
As far as the Phase discussion, there are a ton of threads on Phase (not to be confused with phase angles), but phasing affects imaging and sound stage much more than it does frequency curves.
Tim
Doug;

Welcome to conversation
I always wanted to ask the question, but always forgot to ask!

Tim; 

good statement!  What does a good venue measure like?
I've only heard the Disney venue in LA, and it sure does not sound like my HiFi!

lol

jeff

Post removed