why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
Components first then decent cables. It’s not that hard! It’s not cables then components. Chicken or the egg. Not!  Lol 
Jenner1 seems to have a good point. If the wire in the speaker cabinet is not as good as the the wire from the amp, seems like a waste. I have Revel Salon 2's and I'm sure the internal wiring is is very good, but I really don't know exactly what it is. I don't think it would be very effective to run super, high end cables (external) into good but not high end wiring (internal). Weakest link may be in the box.
@tobor007 - RE: Weakest link may be in the box.

it’s a bit like the reverse of taking the position that using good power cables is sensless when there is romex in the wall

However - the wires inside the box are generally individual conductors and not subject to RFI/EMI to the same levels as many speaker cables

From that perspective the individual conductors will convey the signal more effectively. So very often they are far from the weakest link

But you really need to assess what is on the inside before making any judgement.

Old speakers do tend to have very poor wiring in them so it is well worth replacing the wire, whereas newer speakers tend to have pretty good wire in them.

Does it hurt to upgrade - no.
Is it really required? - only if you feel the need to scratch that particular "ITCH"
Will you benefit? - probably - if you know what you are doing

Binding Posts are probably of more concern and in many cases, they should be replaced - so while you have the wiring exposed - change it - i.e. if needed

Regards - Steve
Two of the speakers I used to own are internally wired with Supra Ply. I tried Supra Ply SCs and the sound was okay. Using different SCs sounded better. It's not always the case that what's used inside a speaker is good enough for use as SCs.

All the best,
Nonoise