Why monoblocks?

Why run monoblocks? Most amps can handle most speakers, especially those that are 88DB and above in sensitivity. I see pictures of all these speakers being driven in monblock configuration. If the stereo amp can do the job, why spend money on two amps? I mean, what are the benefits?
128x128kclone
Statman, your post is a little confusing. Did you get rid of the 120s? It is hard to tell.
The fact that the 120s had twice the power of the Classic 60 probably has more effect on the sound than whether or not the amps were mono Statman.
Statman, This is exactly what I was talking about. The Classic 120s actually have twice the power of the Classic 60. I have owned both and both are great amps. You forgot to mention the soundstage was bigger with the monos.

Audiofeil, I did the 300B thing and decided it didn't work since those amplifiers are not capable of driving real world speakers.

And speaking of inexperience, you may think VAC amplifiers are something special, but it wasn't that long ago VAC was not a well received product because of competition like the Audio Research Classic 120 which was a much more flexible and better sounding amplifier on a broader range of speakers.

At the same time, VAC was marketing Chinese tubes under the name Golden Dragon. These are the tubes that were used in VAC products. We called them Chinese firecrackers because of their short life expectancy.

I always buy equipment from reputable companies and as a rule mono amplifiers will give superior sound and that is a fact.
Kclone, He is using a Mark Levinson stereo amp and he wants to go back to monos.
I'd have to say Kevin Hayes is one of the good guys in this business and is always a pleasure to deal with. I have enjoyed my VAC amps greatly and they have worked extremely well with my Audiokinesis Jazz Module and Tonian Labs TL-D1 speakers. The Golden Dragon tubes that I received from VAC have been just fine and I run the amps a good 5 hours a day on average since I listen to KUNV on my FM tuner while working. I have enough experience to know that not every manufacturer is perfect (including Audio Research), and I'm sure VAC has its share of unhappy customers, but I'm not one of them.

You can make the argument that monoblocks as a rule will be better than stereo amps, but in this hobby I have quite surprisingly found a number of exceptions to the standards. One of which is that stereo amps can sound every bit as good as monoblocks. If that makes me inexperienced then I can accept that because the end result is I'm enjoying whatever experience I do have.