Woofer-Assisted Wide Band

In the old days of dynamic speaker drivers everything was done with a single driver. Now multi-way speakers with multiple drivers covering different ranges are the most common.  With this of course come some issues, and all sorts of ways to fix them.

But even today in the 21st century there are some interesting varietals of single-driver speakers attempting to claim a spot on the high-end though. Some use little paper "whizzer" cones and transmission lines. Some use mechanical crossovers (no caps).  Others like Kef and Thiel attempt to solve some of the issues by using a coaxial arrangement.

One of the cool ideas I have seen lately is "woofer assisted wide-band." The idea is that the main speaker is a single driver that covers from around 400 Hz on up. This keeps the crossover well out of the midrange and treble. An additional woofer is used to cover the lower octaves.

What about you? Are you a firm believer that multi-way speakers are the wrong way to go?

erik_squires
My Ohm Sound Cylinders function well from 30 hz to 8k hz with a single 8 inch driver but need help in the last octave by using a pair of dome tweeters. They do sound stunningly coherent with this arrangement and come the closest to the "full range driver" principle. Second choice would be the Carver Amazing speaker - 4 12 inch woofers operating up to 150 hz and then a 48 inch ribbon out to 20k. They sounded remarkablely smooth and clear!
In the old days of dynamic speaker drivers everything was done with a single driver. Now multi-way speakers with multiple drivers covering different ranges are the most common. With this of course come some issues, and all sorts of ways to fix them.

But even today in the 21st century there are some interesting varietals of single-driver speakers attempting to claim a spot on the high-end though. Some use little paper "whizzer" cones and transmission lines. Some use mechanical crossovers (no caps). Others like Kef and Thiel attempt to solve some of the issues by using a coaxial arrangement.

One of the cool ideas I have seen lately is "woofer assisted wide-band." The idea is that the main speaker is a single driver that covers from around 400 Hz on up. This keeps the crossover well out of the midrange and treble. An additional woofer is used to cover the lower octaves.

What about you? Are you a firm believer that multi-way speakers are the wrong way to go?

erik_squires04-04-2018 12:04a

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The truth is

the 2/3 way xover things , hijacked the REAL TRUE speaker designs,,~~single source/wide band/high sens~~~.
After I heard a wide band,,,I dumped the worlds best tweeter, The Millennium, for a wide band, and then  keeping the Seas W18E001;’s as padded bass, with  a MISERABLE 87 db sens.

Its amazing,a mystery, a joke, a scam, a fraud
That folks keep pursuing the 2/3 way designs /xovers. As IF, wide bands do not even exist..

But obviously its a psyche issue, humans are known as creatures of habit, and as the old saying goes, ~~Old dogs cant learn new tricks.

For me there is only 1 speaker for real true msic,,,that is  wide band, and thats it.
I would never even think, consider, ponder, neither tempted to go back to midrange via a 2/3 way xover low sens driver design.
Not even Troels best of, would even slightly tempt me.
I look at Troels beautiful speakers as ~~dinasaurs..
Even might I say,~~ridiculous.

I actually despise , cant stand, even HATE all Wilsons, Vandersteens, Thats entire A=Z bunch of 2/3 ways.
YUCKKKKK
You can have them.

I've  racked my brains past 2 years, spent $$$$$$$ upgrading the Thors. 
Then I placed a  wide band next to the  Thors,, hahahaha
Dome tweets are ___________
Fill in the bland
Next to a  true hifi wide  band, no dome tweet in the universe can stand up to a high quality wide band.
And as for Scanspaek, /seas midwoofers
Once again
A true hifi wide band blows every mid woofer away. woofers are only good for 30hz-300hz, thats it

I will be double stacking 2 sets of wide bands
Video comming. My speakers will blow away any Wilson. Even their $1million dollar model.