YouTube Indicates What the Future is For Audiophiles - Interesting Demographics.

Howdy,

I just wanted to share some data from YouTube as I found it quite eye-opening and thought some of you might too.

I've posted a couple vids on YouTube recently and, as some will know, YouTube provides analytics data with every video, which is available to the channel owner.

The first video featured a Krell KSA 80 amp and at the time of writing this there have been 9,500 views:

Female - 0%
Male - 100%

13–17 years 0%
18–24 years 0%
25–34 years 0%
35–44 years 0.9%
45–54 years 13.5% 
55–64 years 44.4%
65+ years 41.3%

So, 100% male, and pretty much all of the traffic is from guys 45 years old and above, with 40%+ from guys over 65!!

The second video was a spoof (song) on Audiophiles that was shared a lot and watched by a lot of audiophile spouse, so the stats were slightly different, but not much. At the time of writing, 18,150 views:

Female 2.4%
Male 97.6%

13–17 years 0%
18–24 years 0%
25–34 years 0%
35–44 years 5.9%
45–54 years 18.6%
55–64 years 35.5%
65+ years 40.1%

The video was watched by a few females because it was shared and hit with a slightly younger audience but not by much. For all intents and purposes, the stats are the same for both vids.

Caveat - YouTube tends to attract an older audience and it's tipped up towards males. TikTok would show different results, but I think YouTube is really the platform of choice for most of us, so the data is more pertinent. 

Conclusion - we're a dying breed. 40% of us will be dead in a few years and there's not many 'yoots' coming through to replace us.

No real surprise here but we're all blokes - old, fat, sweaty, bearded, and about to kick the proverbial bucket. (Yes, I'm speaking entirely for myself).

Do you think there's more that manufacturers, dealers, reviewers etc. should be doing, or is it just the inevitable playing out?

Thoughts?

Here's the link to the two vids for reference: 
Krell KSA80
The Audiophile Song

128x128rooze

I believe the dearth of welcoming high-end audio brick and mortar audio stores only adds to the nonengagement of younger persons.  How many of us curiously found our way into one and was knocked out by what we heard?That's how I started at fourteen.  More than five decades later still going.

@barts exactly my experience.  I found my way into a very high end audio store at 15 in 1973, and was blown away by the sound that I heard.  I think that the system might have been Quad ESL's stacked, powered by Mark Levinson separates, and some turntable that I don't recall.  What I do recall is that it sounded as if the band was in the room in front of me.  Incredible.  I have been chasing that sound my whole life, and now, in 2024, I am most of the way there!  The other thing that others have also pointed out is that the '70's was an era filled with incredible rock music, with new and amazing albums being released by amazing groups like Led Zep, ELP, Yes, Tull, etc. and a whole wave of ECM jazz.  Listening to that new album when it was released, like Physical Graffiti or Led Zep IV, or Brain Salad Surgery, to name a few, was a religious experience.  I still listen to that music.  Kids growing up today don't have that kind of music any more, and I think that music fueled the creation of audiophiles.  In addition, we sat around and listened to music as a social activity while smoking pot.  There were no video games, 100 TV channels and movie channels, etc. to choose from.  So we appreciated it more, I think.  I am sad that we are really a dying breed.  My step-son likes to listen to my old dinosaur rock on my system, but has no interest in having his own.  That is the way it is.  I will enjoy my hobby until I croak, and get huge amounts of pleasure in doing so.  What happens after I croak, not my concern, I suppose, other than in a theoretical way.

I totally don’t agree with the OP conclusions about the data. We older audiophiles can afford the gear, 17 year olds can’t. And I don’t care whether women are into the hobby or not, it’s totally up to them, but historically it’s not something women have ever been interested in. Big deal. Nothing has changed, relax.

Literally cannot give away good examples of quality audio gear I’ve been saving for the grandkids.