$800 to spend on speakers, $1500 on whole system

I am new to community and am seeking advice on my first good sound system. I am looking to spend $500-800 on a used set of two speakers for my living room, which is not very large. I cannot decide between bookshelf speakers or a floor speaker. I will be listening mostly to digital music, and I could use recommendations on a DAC and receiver. I would like the receiver to be bluetooth if high quality receivers come with this feature, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

My Ideal system would have two speakers at $500-800 and with receiver, DAC, cables, and anything else I would need totaling around $1200, but $1500 maximum. I figured I would start with speakers and go from there.

I like to listen to most music, except rap. Heavy metal, funk, jazz. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

pawadalla
Runnin, though I believe the difference between a $1800 and $1500 system to be marginal, upgrading ones speaker budget from $500 to $800 opens up many possibilities toward improvement, especially on the used market.
Update: I have listened to many monitor and floor standing full range speakers. I listened to the goldenear Aon 2 & 3. Also totem rainmakers, some Martin Logans, and several others. 

I really loved the sound of a recent model Vandersteen 2C (I think 2Ce). They're too expensive, but I found a used mint condition pair of 1980s 2C speakers on Craigslist for $450 - was told this was the first 2C speaker made. They sounded excellent at the sellers house on a low power amp. I should have my peachtree amp in a couple days - can't wait to turn them on. 

If I have to do some surgery on it down the road, it'll be a good learning experience. For the price I loved the value of this deal. 
I had the original model 2Cs. My pair was made in the late 70s. I bought new in 86 and played and enjoyed them for about ten years. A very good full range speaker. The foam surrounds did go out in mine however they can be replaced. The ‘skirt' surrounding the drivers can be slid to get access to the drivers if you ever need to inspect. Flip speakers upside dow and work from the bottom. Your pair are newer and may have different surrounds. Richard Vandersteen also can upgrade the 2Cs. 
I also owned these speakers as well as 2ce. You made a significantly good choice given your budget. John Rutan of Audio Connection in Verona, NJ is perhaps, the most knowledgeable Vandersteen dealer still in business. If you ever do need Vandersteen advice you should give him a call...and of course purchase from him if you are able.

i have no connection to Mr. Rutan, except as a happy customer who values his knowledge. Rutan is one of the "good guys" in audio; he will never send you down the wrong path. Best, Rob

Nice!  I had some 2ce's and I've also owned peachtree gear.  You put together a nice little system on the cheap (if $1500 is cheap)!  Congrats, I think you'll be pleased