Are You Using A Separate DAC With Your Oppo 105?

For cd playback, does the DAC in the Oppo 105 hold its own, or have any of you boosted its performance with a separate DAC?

If so, what DAC are you using to improve its performance?

What improvements did you notice?
128x128mitch4t
A friend just concluded that the 105's dac beat the Mytec & equalled the PS Audio perfect wave I. Others there thought Perfectwave still a tad better.

Of course, the DSD capability of the Mytec wasn't part of the comparison.

If Oppo can upgrade firmware on the 105 for DSD, that could make it quite the bargain. Cheers,
Spencer
Wow, that's impressive. The new Perfect Wave DAC is $4k. The mere fact that it was thought of as equal or near equal to the Perfect Wave makes it an astounding bargain.
If Oppo can upgrade firmware on the 105 for DSD, that could make it quite the bargain.
Coming soon.
That would be a complete waste of money given the quality of the Oppo DAC and the 105's analog outputs. If the external DAC had a better analog output stage than maybe. A potentially an expensive proposition.
Kal - Oppo already does DSD from SACD, so I assume you mean they are planning to implement DSD decoding from the USB/coax inputs, correct? Have they committed to this ? Thanks for the heads up. That could be a game changer for me.
If you are using a separate DAC you might as well go for the 103 instead of the 105 and save yourself 700 bucks.

I have the 105 and also a Halide HD DAC and they are both very close in sound, and both very good.
Mitch, my comment was in comparison to the original Perfectwave not the mk. II. Regardless, I think the Perfectwave I is a terrific dac and best I heard in its class when it was newer. If the Oppo is even close, that's pretty great for the price. Cheers,

Spencer
Spencer, thanks for the clarification. Even still, the original Perfect Wave was $3k. The Oppo 105 is looking better every day.