Audiogon seller's question

It has been a long time since I've sold something on Agon. I still buy quite often here, but usually sell on US Audiomart. That said, I have recently listed a relatively expensive pair of speakers and just received an offer through Agon. The buyer just joined and of course has no feedback. So it will for sure have to be Paypal, but no F&F. What is Audiogons role in protecting either the seller or the buyer these days? I would like to have a phone conversation for such a transaction, but I know that's not going to be allowed.

128x128ozzy62

Looks like it’s not going to matter. The guy ghosted me after I accepted the offer. 

It used to be easy to sell here, the other audio sites or on eBay. I'm talking 10+ years ago or so. Now it's scammers or unscrupulous buyers galore. I will only sell if the buyer pays via PayPal F&F, Venmo or direct bank transfer. I understand that buyers are often uncomfortable with that. But it's my gear and I've been doing this a long time and maintain a stellar reputation on all the platforms I sell on. I'm no longer interested in accepting all of the risk. I always assure the buyers in writing that I will refund them 100% if the gear arrives damaged or non functional. That hasn't happened in a long time because I know how to pack gear, including creating new boxes and packing if necessary and limiting the shipping carriers I will use. If it sounds a little controlling, it is. Because it works and creates happiness for me and the buyer.

We are at a stalemate because as a buyer I will never do Paypal Friends and Family. I can see all your past sales and believe you are PROBABLY legit but no way am I paying that way. For speakers I generally would like a local sale so I can hear them anyway.

I just sold a vintage receiver to a guy via PayPal f and f. He wanted me to send it to a different address, which gave me pause. He sent the money and I called PayPal to see if he pulled a fast one on me by claiming he didn’t get the product, would he have recourse? They replied that since it’s friends and family, he has no recourse. It’s as good as cash. He was trusting me that I would send him his product. I sent it and he got it 2 days later. Turns out he didn’t want his wife to know so he sent it to his friends house. lol. I told him he should’ve told me that in the beginning. I would definitely understand.