Benchmark Media Systems. Right or wrong

128x128mijostyn

Benchmark Media Systems has an opinion. That’s all it is. Not right. Not wrong. As a manufacturer they should probably stay out of this though. 

Please be rest assured there is nobody out there looking to take advantage of anybody, especially innocent audiophiles with deep pockets. 

Throughout my years in this hobby, having owned dozens of sources, amplifiers and speakers, it has generally been my experience that lower noise and distortion leads to better sound. 

There have been a handful of cases when I preferred a component with higher distortion relative to the lowest, such as the case with the Parasound A21 vs the Benchmark AHB2, respectively. However, I’ve yet to find a preamplifier at any price that I prefer to the Benchmark LA4, even some at twice its cost, such as the McIntosh C49 or Allnic L-1500. Both of the latter sound good in their own right, but the LA4 is clearly a level above. 

My listening experience has also gradually improved as I’ve moved further toward good-measuring speakers with low distortion and a linear response. 

Of course, synergy matters in all of this. Brighter speakers with even a minor upward tilt can be made too bright with the Benchmark chain. 

Mostly I agree with the Blog claims. I’ve yet to have a cable, footer or power conditioner make or break a system. If a system seemingly necessitates $5K worth of cabling, then it wasn’t a good system to begin with. 

@audphile1  It is a daring position for a manufacturer to take. Good for them! It takes guts and conviction to describe the situation as accurately as they do. If more legitimate audio companies would state their convictions so distinctly audiophiles would be much better off and the illegitimate companies would disappear. 

@grislybutter  Butter or not?