Benchmark Media Systems. Right or wrong

128x128mijostyn

@audphile1  It is a daring position for a manufacturer to take. Good for them! It takes guts and conviction to describe the situation as accurately as they do. If more legitimate audio companies would state their convictions so distinctly audiophiles would be much better off and the illegitimate companies would disappear. 

@grislybutter  Butter or not? 

I’ve yet to find a preamplifier at any price that I prefer to the Benchmark LA4, even some at twice its cost, such as the McIntosh C49 or Allnic L-1500. Both of the latter sound good in their own right, but the LA4 is clearly a level above. 

I love the LA4 compared to any preamp at any price. Been saying that for years.

I traded my Benchmark AHB2 amp for a Benchmark HPA4, and when it arrives tomorrow, I need to decide if I keep my LA4 or the Holo Serene.  The Serene has a headphone output that the LA4 lacks. 

I have an LA4 and AHB2 fantastic combo for the money and expandable if desired. One thing about Benchmark that I like is they don’t use the word salad terms a ton of companies use. They actually test AND listen to their products and others. They can show you exactly what their components will do. Whether or not they work in a system or not is entirely dependent on the further system and the owner’s ears.

To me, the info Benchmark puts out is more than opinion, is objectively attained so to me has a bit more clout. To each their own.

About what you'd expect from a company whose products sound clean, but sterile and clinical to a fault.

I disagree that as a manufacturer they shouldn’t voice an opinion.  There are plenty of manufacturers who weigh in on the opposite side, attempting to create a market for products that listeners did just fine without, such as power conditioner, ultra expensive power cords, inter connects (particularly digital) and power cords, fuses, switches, turntable mats made from lactating yaks…It’s nice to have someone on the manufacturing side call out the bs