Blackness - how quiet does it need to be?

In almost all gear of any substantial value the concept of the blackness, quietness or low noise floor comes up. A reviewer might say that the noise floor was noticably lower when reviewing a particular piece compared to another. Now I get that low noise translates roughly to being able to hear more music and nuanced detail. Thing is, when I turn on my system and no music is going through it, I can't hear anything, unless I put my ear right up to the speaker and the AC isn't running and the fan isn't on, etc. And with music on the only thing I hear is any recorded hiss that might be from the recording. So what I dont get is when they say a piece of equipment sounds quieter, do they mean somehow that the hiss on the recording is lower? I cant see how that would be possible, or are they talking about the hiss of the equipment without muisc? In which case I cant hear it at all when sitting down on my couch. I don't have the world best gear, so I'm thinking are they overplaying the "quiet" card.
last_lemming
"I knew that some recordings have a lot of processing but I never knew that lots of recordings have white noise pumped into them."

The hiss I'm talking about is only on a few select cd recordings of older music. Like my Miles Davis, Kind of Blue HDCD. Most music sounds pretty quiet.
Well, there goes that theory.

I hear an ever so slight hiss or veil (for lack of a better word) on my Kind of Blue CD as well. It's a Columbia/Legacy SBM (Super Bit Mapping) recording.

I've read where Steve Hoffman said that older masters from tape and tube (if they were done that way) don't make the transition to a newly remastered state if done with SS equipment unless certain software is used, correctly. He said it will not sound quite right. Maybe that's it.

All the best,
Nonoise
But tape hiss from an older recording is not really about the 'noise floor' of the system.
Vance (Vhiner), thanks for your comment. This has indeed been an excellent discussion.
08-09-12: Nick_sr
Is the noise floor system dependent? or is it directly the sum of the noise floor of the individual components?
Nick, yes, there is a good deal of system dependency involved.

With respect to the analog parts of the signal path, the audible significance that ultimately results from noise that is generated, introduced, or picked up at any point in the signal path will vary depending on the relation between the signal as it exists at that point and that noise, especially the ratio of their amplitudes. Which in turn will depend on the gains, sensitivities, and output levels of other components in the signal path.

With respect to digital parts of the signal path, many variables and interactions that are relevant to noise sensitivity and its ultimate effects on jitter come into play between the transport or other source component, the component in which D/A conversion is performed, and the cable connecting them. Obviously the jitter rejection characteristics of the DAC are one. Also, the risetime and falltime of the output signal from the transport, which are parameters that are usually unspecified, will significantly affect the consequences resulting from noise that is present at the interface between the transport and DAC. Impedance mismatches between the two components and the interconnect cable will inevitably be present to at least some small degree, and might affect the consequences of noise at that interface, if the mismatches result in distortion of critical parts of the waveform. Also, noise that may be introduced by ground loop effects will be affected by the interaction of various technical characteristics of both components.

Best regards,
-- Al
I don't think Steve Hoffman was referring to the tape hiss from the original recording. That could be somewhat masked, but not entirely eliminated. What he referred to was the difficulty of taking an original master and getting it sound right on modern equipment.

Here is his view:http://www.tapeop.com/articles/85/steve-hoffman/.

I guess the only alternative is to try the DCC CD version that he made of the Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' CD.

All the best,
Nonoise