Deals Gone Bad

I have noticed a large percentage of my purchases are turning into Scam sales.....A lot of them I report to e-bay to have them checked out and they still go "south".......l had one on ebay for 2900.00 and another on Audiogon for 2500.00........And the worst thing is it sometimes takes months to get your money back..........Both of these were out of the country, one in the UK and one in South Africa.............

autospec

Done a little via eBay, only one glitch easily cured with a call.

Look for 'time on', # of sales, relative +/- if there's comments....

Doesn't ever hurt to CYA...šŸ‘šŸ˜Ž

I recently purchased a pair of Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitors (according to the listing title and item description) from Reverb.com using their app for iPhone. If I had been on a computer, I would have seen that the seller's images were of Yamaha HS50M, the 5" version. The HS80M is an 8" driver. The seller used a wide angle camera lens to make them look bigger.

Fortunately, I filed a claim with Reverbā€™s buyer protection before the siteā€™s 7-day (oh well, too bad for you) window had passed and thoroughly documented everything. I got a refund for the full purchase price plus a pair of 5" studio monitors that I guess will make great garage workshop speakers.

Sorry to hear this Will. I am happy with my purchase of the SET 45 amp from you some years back. Excellent work!

I havenā€™t bought or sold anything used since before the pandemic. Ā Between the scammers and the shipping companies damaging stuff it took any fun away. Ā I live in Chicago so there is a decent population density for in person deals, and Iā€™ve probably taken less value on a few pieces than I may have gotten elsewhere on line, but decided it isnā€™t worth the hassleĀ 

EBay was fun two decades ago, when I bought a nice Stellarvue Apo telescope as well as some used audio gear for a second system.

Ā I find it to be a mixed bag now, sometimes a cesspool. With the exception of some brick and mortar stores using it as an outlet, audio gear is typically exorbitantly priced and often shady. Want to pay double for tired C-J gear than on Audiomart or Audiogon? Iā€™ve been cheated, for example, from a fake New Balance outlet store that gave an explanation for why my shoes were months late by saying ā€œthey were on the boat from Chinaā€ for US-made shoes. I was reimbursed for this fraud from my credit card. But I used to order New Balance 990ā€™s from a legitimate NB outlet on E-Bay, not anymore. There is no longer oversight of the shady stuff it seems.