DH Labs - Shunyata Cable Comparison

My system for Background:

Harbeth C7ES=XD Speakers

Accuphase P4600 Power Amp

Aurender N20 Streamer

MSB Discrete DAC

This is a new system purchased over the last 6 months. While the system settled in I purchased Blue Jeans cables: Ethernet, Digital XLR, Analog XLR Interconnects, Digital Coax for the Clock connection between the Streamer and DAC and Speaker cables.

Later I upgraded the Ethernet cable with the DH Labs Reunion and the DH Labs Digital XLR. Both these cables provide a noticeable upgrade that I really liked so I put DH on my further upgrade list.I was also interested in the new Gamma line from Shunyata.

The most convenient way to audition cables at home for me is to use The Cable Company's Lending Library. You have 10 days to 2 weeks to evaluate whatever you want to hear. So I borrowed:

DH Labs Air Matrix XLR Interconnects

Shunyata Gamma XLR Interconnects

AND

DH Labs Q10 Signature Speaker Cables

Shunyata Gamma Speaker Cables

I really liked the DH Labs Air Matrix Cryo. It offered a very open, airy and clear presentation somewhat laid back and with a nice a soundstage depth. It was also excellent with voices. The Gammas were also very nice but I found them less open and airy like someone put a lid on the sound.

Leaving the Air Matrix in the system I replaced the Blue Jeans Speaker Cables with the DH Labs Q10s. My quick initial response was that I lost some of the air and the soundstage was not as big so I quickly replaced them with the Gammas which were even less airy and the soundstage did not have the same depth. At this point I was disappointed that neither apparently offered an upgrade to the Blue Jeans.

Thinking about this overnight I felt I really made snap decisions about both cables and I should give each a more extended and varied listen. So the next day I started again with the Q10s. I listened this time for many hours and with a variety of tracks. The sound started to grow on me. I realized that the apparent loss of air was just the Q10s delivering a cleaner high end. Once I became accustomed to this sound I preferred it to the Blue Jeans.

The next day I replaced the Q10s with the Gammas. Again after extended and varied listening I started to notice the strengths of the Gammas: A very refined high end and a deep and impactful bass.I actually started to prefer their sound characteristics over the Q10s even though they were not as open and the soundstage depth was not as deep.

The next day while continuing to listen to the Gammas I realized I missed the extended airy high end and deeper soundstage of the Q10s. Their highs were not as refined but the overall presentation was much more lively and large while the Gammas were refined, controlled and impactful but less lively. As a test I replaced the DH Labs Air Matrix XLRs with the Gammas. The combination of all Gamma was too dark.

I then put the Q10s back in the system and immediately reveled in their larger open and airy soundstage.I then decided to try the Gamma XLRs with he Q10 cables. That was a decent combination that was better than all Gamma or Air Matrix and Gamma but still not as open and lively as the all DH Labs combo.

So my plan is to purchase both DH Labs cables.

I've also learned that I should not quickly dismiss a component. Sometimes the initial difference or characteristic is not a true measure of its overall performance. I really need to listen for several hours and use a wide variety of music to clearly get an understanding of the sound signature of these cables. When I did that the sound of each started to grow on me. My snap judgments caused me confusion and unnecessary retesting.

BTW my Accuphase Amp has a Speaker A/B Selection switch. It has two sets of speaker terminals so I was able to have the Gamma with Banana plugs connected to one set of terminals and the speakers and the Q10s with Spades connected to the other terminals and speakers. This allowed for more convenient switching making the comparison somewhat easier but it was still an adventure.

Next I plan to borrow the DH Labs Coax Interconnects for the Clock and their higher end Digital XLRs. I'll probably try a few of their better power cables at different price points. In my experience DH Labs products really punch above their weight and offer really good value. And I also highly recommend The Cable Company if you want to audition a variety of cables or power conditioners at home.

jfrmusic

One friend with whom I've sung for 4 decades and is a superb classical soprano is 81 and shares her enthusiasm for Eilish with my sister, a minor CD recorded/back-up Streisand/Democratic Convention singer back in the day.  I just delivered to her 2 CDs of Claudia Muzio, my favorite opera soprano, 45 tracks of Ruth Etting, Ella Fitzgerald Clap Hands Here Comes Charley coupled with Beverly Sills 7 arias from the Ballad of Baby Doe and a CD of two LPs of June Christy.  We will see if she thinks twice about how "great" "superb" Eilish is in conveying meaning and emotion in song.

For the money, DH Labs are great. I have a Mirage usb running from my streamer to my dac and it’s been there for quite awhile now.

All the best.

Boy, I was just thinking of 'upgrading' from Q10s to Shunyata or Nordost etc. but I think you might have put a damper on that!.

I do run Pro Studios also, but not the cryo; maybe I look into that!

I would like to know how good the DH Labs ethernet cable is. Last product I had from these guys was their rca sfdif digital cable and it was very good for the money.